Adwords campaign rejected. For Google Matomo javascript is a Malware

Thanks Mark for the sympathetic words. Yeah it’s a pretty crappy situation. Google actually shutting down all methods of communication is super low and unethical. Didn’t even have the opportunity to offer any explanation.

But you’re right, alternatives are the way to go. Unfortunately, here in Australia the biggest competitor is Bing but they fall so very short on the search engine market share, around 3% or so last time I checked.

Fortunately, we upped our SEO efforts on the effected campaigns and have been able to get by without paid advertising for the moment.

As a side comment, we also had a lot of other Ad accounts that were suspended for other reasons, mostly malicious software (this happened in the space of a week and about 1-2 weeks after implementing Matomo) but for this reason Google allowed communication and we were able to prove there was in fact no malicious software on our sites (after removing the Matomo script) and we had our Ad accounts reinstated.

Seems like very un-competitive behaviour from Google.


100% agreed. The choice should be ours on what software we use on our sites.

Not only the concern about losing the Ad accounts, but what if the search algo decided the sites had malicious software on them and disappeared from the SERPS.

Google should not be allowed to punish the use of alternate software.

Still happening in June 2021. It’s been over a year now, and it seems that Matomo is being steam-rolled into non-mainstream use because of this.

Any idea on you guys getting a “so called clean bill of health”? You have no idea how irate I am at this.

Feel free to add me to any class action if anyone wants to step up here because honestly, this act is costing business owners and admins a ton of money.

1 Like


Just to document it:

There was a quite popular tweet by someone experiencing the same issue:

which caused a longer discussion here:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I sent and made a comment on his tweet.

August 2021 and getting this same issue. Contacted 2 google support reps, both of whom did practically nothing. First one said to manually change each ad (we have over 400+ ads banned… great) and submit. Did that, they all came back banned, even AFTER we removed Matomo from our sites.

This is fully anti-trust behavior. I can not believe Google can get away with this. Considering finding an attorney because this is causing a loss of client revenue, just for using a Google product competitor.

do not talk to google about this, they will just give you the middle finger.

you have to remove any reference to the word “matomo” everywhere, including matomo.js

matomo team should make an option to customize and anonymize any reference to matomo