Visitors going crazy in 1.1½

Looking at the description of the issue, I thought of something that could account for both the cookie issue, the fact that some visits appear grouped while others don’t and why beta testers didn’t catch this issue.

Can this issue with blocked cookies be browser related ? namely, a large number of our users are still using IE6 (don’t ask… they don’t want to use it either but they have to at this point).

Is it possible something changed in the way cookies are handled that breaks down when using IE6 ?

[Edit] Nevermind … I just saw there is a 1.1.1 available. I applied the change in case it is related to this issue. I will see tomorrow if it helps or not.

[Edit 2] If it is related to this issue, 1.1.1 doesn’t seem to be helping. Reloading a page and clicking on a sub-page still yield two visits instead of one. I am using Firefox, I cleaned my cache and disabled AdBlock to be sure.

lalquier, if you can reproduce with firefox I am interested :slight_smile: can you please send by email your ftp/ssh access, piwik url & login & password & bug description? thanks

Note: 1.1.1 doesn’t fix the overcounting issues, but other bugs

Now I can’t make the online-update on version 1.1.1. Error-message:

Error opening /var/www/xxx/xxx/xxx/piwik/tmp/latest/latest.zip
Has anyone else this problem?

I can confirm this.

Error opening /var/www/…/piwik/tmp/latest/latest.zip

But the file is there:

-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 5174153 2011-01-05 08:19 latest.zip

Regards

Hi everyone,

I think, i’ve fixed the problem with grouping visitors. I’ve deleted the complete files in tmp-folder and all cookies. Now visits are grouped again. It seems, it’s actually a cookie-problem.
Can someone try this out?

(The only problem, I see now: how can I tell my visitors, to delete their cookies?)

Regards

[quote=awesome]
I can confirm this.

Error opening /var/www/…/piwik/tmp/latest/latest.zip

But the file is there:

-rw-r–r-- 1 www-data www-data 5174153 2011-01-05 08:19 latest.zip

Regards[/quote]

FYI: Upgrading manually worked fine. It’s really easy, just replacing all piwik related files, but keep the old config/config.ini.php

[quote=Ferrika]
Hi everyone,

I think, i’ve fixed the problem with grouping visitors. I’ve deleted the complete files in tmp-folder and all cookies. Now visits are grouped again. It seems, it’s actually a cookie-problem.
Can someone try this out?

(The only problem, I see now: how can I tell my visitors, to delete their cookies?)

Regards[/quote]

Please have a look at Edge case: each page is a new visit · Issue #1916 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub I think your solution is just temporary and your problems will occur again after some time.

[quote=matthieu]
lalquier, if you can reproduce with firefox I am interested :slight_smile: can you please send by email your ftp/ssh access, piwik url & login & password & bug description? thanks

Note: 1.1.1 doesn’t fix the overcounting issues, but other bugs[/quote]

I can reproduce it with Firefox, Chrome, IE6 and IE8 , however, I am running Piwik on an intranet and I cannot provide external access to any of the files.

please download and update to 1.1.2b1 which fixes the issue: http://builds.piwik.org/piwik-1.1.2b1.zip

Thanks ! It is working great so far !

Now on to the cleanup of the stats… is there a recommended way to go about erasing visits for the past 24 h ? I would rather be missing the visits than having 5 times the regular number.

Hi matthieu,

thank you for the great work. I have installed the update this afternoon and it works great. My compliment for this fast work.