Upgrade to 1.2 smooth, but no new stats

I think the thing to do in the future will be to watch the forum for a few weeks after a new release to see if there are any critical bugs like this one and then upgrade only after they’ve been resolved. That’s what I should have done.

It would be useful somehow if you could identify what types of requests get excluded from counted… is it some browsers, IPs, some pages?

IDEA: we fixed a bug with javascript library prototype, do you use it on your pages? see piwik.js: JSON stringify not working with prototype < 1.7 and mootools < 1.3 · Issue #2165 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

Maybe there is some kind of other incompatibility between some of your pages and the new piwik.js features? (of course we’d want to fix piwik.js in that case!)

Hey Matt. Was the user account information you requested of use to you?

In our case (cf. 301 Moved Permanently) we are using an old mootools lib (1.2 compatible with 1.1) on all our sites exept for one of them. This one is also affected by the decrease.

Concerning your question, the decrease is constant for all types of browsers, countries, operating systrem, etc.

I’ve got the same Problem. Since I’ve upgraded to 1.2 there are no visitors counted anymore (see attached picture). Or at least it’s not showed in the statistic. Any fix of the problem soon would be appreciated.

My traffic dropped completely as well. This was on multiple different sites. The only thing I noticed was the live updates view only showed returning visitors and not new ones.

Ok, so it is certainly not all my imagination then.

so none of you are noticing any particular pattern for the “missing” traffic?

What are

• your PHP version, config,
  • Mysql version,
  • Anything in the error logs?
  • webserver used (apache, nginx) ?
  • anything else that could be interesting?

I’m hoping we can nail down soon what is causing such dramatic decrease in traffic on a few Piwik users without affecting others (thousands of users have no problem).

php 5.3
Mysql 5
IIS7

i havent seen anything strange in the logs. though ive downgraded to piwik 1.1.1 and restored from a previous database, so I cant run new tests.

the only thing i noticed was the new visitors were not coming up in live view.

other thing that might be of interest is I run piwik on a separate server from the machines that run my websites.

• PHP 5.2.15 (cli) (built: Dec 15 2010 14:09:31)
  • mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.51a, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
  • Apache/2.2.16 (Unix)
  • piwik 1.2

What error logs are you referring to Matt? Piwik doesn’t appear to have a self diagnostic / log panel.

[quote=Kip]
What error logs are you referring to Matt? Piwik doesn’t appear to have a self diagnostic / log panel.[/quote]

Server error log (eg. apache error logs) and PHP error logs, if any.

Does your Piwik track several websites?
Do you track sub paths of a same domain in several “Piwik websites”?

This is my setup

1. Installation (for testing purposes)
  • Windows XP
  • IIS 6.x
  • PHP 5.3.3
  • MySQL 5.1.48 essential

I have tracked serveral Websites in parallel successfuly half a year:

After the update to Piwik 1.2 the recorded “traffic” dropped significantly. Because I want to use Piwik as a “production”-System from now on, I have moved it to:

1. Installtion (live system)
  • Windows Server 2008R2
  • IIS 7.5
  • PHP5.3.5
  • MySQL 5.1.48 essential
    and restored the tables from the old Database. I assume the problem is to find in the database, if a newly setup with 1.2 works?!

During the automatic upgrade to 1.2 I received the error to be seen in the attachment. Maybe it is useful to find the cause of all troubles.

If there is no quick solution in sight, I’ll start from scratch and throw all old tracking data overboard.

My setup :
[ul][li]Debian Squeeze 32bits
[/li][li]PHP 5.3.5
[/li][li]nginx 0.7.67 (with PHP-FPM through Unix socket)
[/li][li]MariaDB 5.2.4 (through TCP socket)[/ul]
[/li]
There is nothing in nginx error logs, only some closed keepalive connection, closed prematurely connection and time out.

I am tracking 58 sites.

I only just installed Piwik, so this was a clean install, not an upgrade.

No extra modules. Total vanilla install.

I added 9 sites to the install.

4 of them are showing stats (albeit that only 1 of them seems accurate, and the other 3 seem very low).

The other 5 sites are all showing as zeros for two days now, even though I have confirmed that the correct code is on all the pages.

Something is clearly badly wrong with this update. I doubt its just a few people experiencing this. More likely is that most people don’t go to the hassle of creating a forum login and posting. They just silently stop using it.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to try, because the code is on all the pages.

Its just not registering any hits.

I think the thing to do would be to give Matt access to one of these setups so he can debug.

Good call Kip.
I’d provide Matt access to my setup in a heartbeat but it’s running on our intranet.

Hope someone can do this for Matt soon, for the sake of us all.

I’ve given him a read only account to my Piwik, but I don’t know how useful it was for him. My setup is probably comparatively much simpler than some of the other folks here with it tracking dozens of sites.

I track three sites being tracked by Piwik.

1. http://itsc.ikon.org (which also is accessible via http://itsc & http://itsc.us.ricoh.ds)

2. http://itscmedia.us.ricoh.ds/

3. http://itsc.us.riicoh.ds/itsckb

#1 and #3 are on the same physical server as our Piwik instance.

Piwik Server specs:
IIS 6
MySQL 5
PHP 5.3
no PHP or MySQL errors.

Mondays are high volume for us… always.

Monday March 7th for Site #1 (while still running Piwik 1.1)
868 visits 662 unique visitors

Monday March 14th for Site #1 (the day we upgraded to Piwik 1.2)
463 visits 381 unique visitors

Maybe Piwik 1.2 isn’t treating Unique Visitors the same as 1.1?
I’m going to compare the global.ini backup with the global.ini created by 1.2

Thanks for your patience, I have some more questions to nail the issue down:

• what Javascript libraries are in use in the pages that have problems being tracked? we found an issue with Prototype and Mootools which are incompatible. Piwik 1.2.1-b1 fixes this issue.

The next step will be indeed that I get access to a Piwik instance that fails. I need your help:

• Please enable the Live! plugin (in the Admin Plugins page),
  • Make sure your IP is not excluded, and that you don’t have the opt-out cookie.
  • Visit one page on your site, do you see the record when you refresh the Live! widget?

if you do NOT see your visit/pages in the Live! widget, please send me by email at matt@piwik.org the following info:

• bug description + this forum URL
  • your Piwik URL + login + pwd
  • your website URL that is not tracked in Piwik 1.2
  • if possible, FTP / ssh access to edit the Piwik files (don’t worry I will not look at anything else).

–> If a few of you can replicate the issue themselves and then send me the details then I will be able to help and find a fix faster.

Of course fixing this issue and releasing a new version is very high priority for us, but because we can’t replicate on a few piwik instances, we need your help!
Thank you!!