Tracking suddenly stopped

So tracking stop working.
No changes has been made on tracking code. No error or warning on console.
I then added image tracking but still not tracking.

Matomo 3.9.1


First check in your network tab of the browser developer tools, if the requests are properly reaching the server.
Then check your webserver logs if any errors are occuring there.
You might want to use Tracking HTTP API: API Reference - Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics) - Developer Docs - v3 for troubleshooting.


Thank you for your help.

I checked on the browser: request reached the server.

I then follow the link on your mail to enable tracking debug. But nothing appears on screen while browsing on my website. I then enable logging to a file. No logs appears.

I checked provider’s analytics. There were traffic on the last days but nothing has been recorder by Matomo. Meaning the problem is not on my computer side, i.e. security software flaring connexion…

Server logs does not show anything wrong or weird related to Matomo.

FYI, last week I modified settings related to Geolocation. Because visitors are mainly from France, I need detailed location.


Nothing should appear, but instead the piwik.php (or matomo.php) request in the network tab will respond with a detailed log on why the data was (not) stored.

A post was split to a new topic: Matomo Wordpress broke after HTTPS migration

Hi, thenks for informations.:wink: