Piwik Not Showing Accurate Stats

Hello,

For already a few days I have Piwik running, but the stats are way of
from what they are in reality. For example : a few of my sites are getting 150/200
uniques in a 24 hours period, where Piwik does show me about 45 uniques.

I made sure to check, and the code is still on it’s place right above the tag.

Are there any server requirements which I missed to install, in order to track properly ? I’d use Piwik version 1.8.3

I hope you can advise me.

Thank you,

ThumbNail.

what are you using to compare to to show piwik is off? If its another analytics program do a complete pages report for the site from app 1 and then do a similar report fro piwik. Compare the 2 to see what and by how much one is missing.

[quote=lesjokolat]
what are you using to compare to to show piwik is off? If its another analytics program do a complete pages report for the site from app 1 and then do a similar report fro piwik. Compare the 2 to see what and by how much one is missing.[/quote]

I’m using server stats like awstats to compare the tracking. For example at 09/06/2012 awstats does show 143 uniques,
but comparing the logs from piwik, it does display 13 uniques. This is with many sites/domains…Almost all are way off from accurate.

Is there any server settings/plugin that can causse this ?

Thank you for the support.

See the FAQ: Statistics from Piwik and my other web analytics tool (log analyzer, webalizer or javascript based) are different, why?

Hello Matt,

Thank you for the response.
Tho it does not make much sence imo. Actually I had always Google Analytics installed,
which didn’t show the same differences between GA and awstats.

GA always showed me max 5/10% less compared to awstats,
but what Piwik actually shows me is 90% less then what awstats does display.

Man, I have 5 sites I am watching, my most important site shows many visitor hits but all to one page, all the same page, and really no data, different countries, different IP’s, etc, a total mess, I don’t get it. Anyone here wish to take a look and help me figure out what’s up? I’m lost, it’s a mess.

Oh and the total hits have dropped about 90%, my other tracker is working fine. Analytics is fine.

cgjb,

thats like the situation I’m in. Piwik does count about 10% from the real stats on those domains.
So yes in fact it does count 90% less.

Do you have any more advise Matt ? :slight_smile:

Hi I will clarify a bit more to see if this helps. I have used GA and Omniture and Piwik whereby we did comparisons to awstats.

One thing I noticed there are many pages PVs attributed to internal web services pages that are not true user related.

When comapring 2 products in this case piwik and Awstats i recommend you do the following.

Pick a 24 hr period. do a complete list of all pages and PVs UVs for that day in awstats export to excel.

Next do the same in piwik get a complete list of all pages and PVs for the exact same time frame.

Now just do a line by line comparison. We found the top 20 sites from AWstats quite often contained these internal services pages with variuous PVs.

The common pages (tracked and identified the same from both piwik and awstats) were more often than not very close.

Good luck

Hello lesjokolat,

Thank you a lot for your advise. But it still does not make any sense in my opinion.
Before I added the piwik code, I was running awstats + Google Analytics.

My site got every 24 hours anywhere from 150/200 uniques in GA.

Now when I running Piwik, my site seems to get just 10/15 uniques a day.
Which can’t be true ofcourse, since this decrease in traffic cant be seen in the awstats.
(my traffic stats from awstats does not show those extreme differences)

I’m sure if i would install GA again, it would average at the 150/200 uniques a 24hours period.
So GA does not makes sense either ?

Thumbnail.

I have three ways to track visits, only Piwik tracking is showing 10% at most of my total traffic. I don’t understand why.

So basically my tracking code is only working as the {Piwik image tracking version} on my php pages in one directory, all other pages on my site all of a sudden stopped showing visitor tracking by Piwik. They are all .html extension pages. I re-installed Piwik and still nothing from the other directories are far as tracking ability.

I’m starting to think that Piwik has a hole and maybe is getting hacked.

[quote=cqjb]
I have three ways to track visits, only Piwik tracking is showing 10% at most of my total traffic. I don’t understand why.[/quote]
I’d have the same issue, and can’t get a clue on it.

Thumbnail.

here you mention visitor but to clarify is it the visits metric or the unique visitor metric Also is there any internal site that could be contributing to stats that maybe shouldnt be? Do you have any sub domains?

I feel as thumbnail exactly. :slight_smile: Driving me nuts…

Lesjokolat, it does not matter :(, anytime I can view the visitor path “Visitors i real time” on the Piwik front end site to watch hits it only registers visits from my php pages that have the image tracking version of the code, I am sure it only shows 10% of my regular traffic by humans, I compare it to two other tracking sites, does not even come close to being right.

ok sounds odd but i can understand your frustration. What are the server specs you are running this on?

lesjokolat, best way to get you an answer on this last question you just asked? I’ll try to pm you.

Still not much help of the developer,
does somebody know If we could purchased ‘paid support’ ?

Matt, come in please, I’m willing to pay a fee, to get this fixed.:slight_smile:

Hi thumbnail, sure we could help debug the problem on your site, please contact us via: http://piwik.org/consulting/

Thanks!

Still no solution, such a simple concept, really amazed at how badly it can work one day and then not the next, I would think there was a way to test it.

[quote=Bruce]
Man, I have 5 sites I am watching, my most important site shows many visitor hits but all to one page, all the same page, and really no data, different countries, different IP’s, etc, a total mess, I don’t get it. Anyone here wish to take a look and help me figure out what’s up? I’m lost, it’s a mess.

Oh and the total hits have dropped about 90%, my other tracker is working fine. Analytics is fine.[/quote]

So, you have 5 sites with visitors appearing only for 10% of all visits ?

and GA is showing much more visits ?

is there a page that is never tracked but should be ? or is it completely random ?

Matt, of the 5 sites only one is only showing 10% of the visitors. I have moved the code higher & lower, it does not work. I think it is a server side issue with my hosting provider but I don’t know what to tell them, they had fixed it before, maybe with a change to the .htaccess file but I am not sure and don’t understand how to fix this one.

All pages not showing any data, but, in one folder I do use the image tracking version as that folder has my form and all pages are php. When I use the ‘image tracker code’ (seen below in italics) all works fine but then I do not want to use the ‘image tracker code’ as it provides less data of visitors.

[i]Image Tracker code
The Simple Image Tracker code can be used when Javascript is disallowed.

Some websites like MySpace or eBay will not allow users to add Javascript to their profile but accept HTML. In this case, you can still track visits with Piwik using the simple Image Tracker.
Note: the code doesn’t use Javascript so Piwik will not be able to track some user information such as search keywords, referrer websites, screen resolutions, plugin support and page titles.
[/i]

So somehow my code has a serverside or Java issue, but I am not sure how to fix.