Not receiving PDF report by mail

Is there anything else I can do when I’m not receiving the PDF reports by mail. In case of the daily report I created at what time should that be sent? It is the second day I’m not receiving it (but yes I can download the reports from within Piwik).
Initially I tried the local mail function and now setup the smtp option, but still nothing (my site is with Dreamhost). Any suggestions or comments would be higly apprechiated!

Thank you!

Did you setup any cronjob yet?

No, I don’t have a cronjob for this statistic! I assume as you are mentioning it that I have to do that…
Will configure that right away and post a reply (are there any specific recomendations for the cronjob in relation to the PDF per mail?).

Thanks for the hint…

[quote=LimaEasy @ Jul 30 2010, 10:43 PM]No, I don’t have a cronjob for this statistic! I assume as you are mentioning it that I have to do that…
Will configure that right away and post a reply (are there any specific recomendations for the cronjob in relation to the PDF per mail?).

Thanks for the hint…[/quote]

Sending emails should work without cronjob. we should add a “Send report now” as a test button. created ticket: http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1538

if you send the ‘forgot password’ email, do you receive it?

Yes the local mail function on the server works. If I use the ‘forgot password’ option I receive an email with the password recovery.

I wonder if mail() is disabled when run from php-cli…

From the shell, can you run php-cli on this script?

<?php echo ini_get('disable_functions');

Sorry I don’t know on how to run:

from the shell?

On my site I have other php scripts (like a contact from) using the server mail function without problems. I still think it might be somehow related to my hosting (Dreamhost). There are some settings / configurations but I’m not sure if they could cause this problem. The site I’m running Piwik from is with the following settings: PHP5 FastCGI, enabled mod_security and Passanger (Ruby/Python) disabled…

[quote=LimaEasy @ Jul 31 2010, 01:23 AM]Sorry I don’t know on how to run:

from the shell?

On my site I have other php scripts (like a contact from) using the server mail function without problems. I still think it might be somehow related to my hosting (Dreamhost). There are some settings / configurations but I’m not sure if they could cause this problem. The site I’m running Piwik from is with the following settings: PHP5 FastCGI, enabled mod_security and Passanger (Ruby/Python) disabled…[/quote]

My solution was to make the Cronjob archive.sh executable (chmod +x …/piwik/misc/cron/archive.sh)
Maybe all *.sh files should have the x-Bit set after installation…

In release 1.0.0 and earlier versions the sending of pdf reports by email was not working.
See this bug report PDFReports: misc/cron/archive.sh launches an exception · Issue #1661 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

Can’t seem to enter an external url here, the forum seems to be mangling it.
bug report[/url] [url=dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1661]dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/1661

I have applied the fix and it works for me, and should be in version 1.1.

The issue was finally fixed in Piwik! please test, the latest RC and report if it still does not work for you: 301 Moved Permanently

Appreciate this thread is a little old but I am having problems sending email from piwik

i am on 1.8.3b5 and the local send mail is working, test on password recovery which works fine.

The email report sending is not working and if I click send report now it doesn’t send either.

The email report sending is not working and if I click send report now it doesn’t send either.

Does the download report work ?

can you try chmod 777 tmp/assets/ folder ?

Hi
I am able to download reports no problem.
I have chmod the tmp/assets folder to 777

the reports are still not sending when I click, send report now.

after a few seconds I receive the following error

An error occured while sending ‘PDF Email Report - 15.today.1.en.pdf’ to . Error was 'Unable to send mail. ’

I have also noticed that when I download the reports they are empty (this could be related to the archiving issue on the other thread)

Do you see any PDF report in tmp/assets/ ?
the files are first generated there, then they are emailed.

Also do you have any error in your server eroror log?

Hi
yes there are pdf reports in there

for instance if i click download report that report is present in the folder and displays correctly (now that we fixed some of the archiving issue)

I cannot get it to send the report by email. it still says An error occured while sending ‘PDF Email Report - 15.today.1.en.pdf’ to . Error was 'Unable to send mail. ’

The report sending job failed to run on the weekly cron job also.

It states the following (apart from the file path and stuff like that) the error is ‘unable to send email’

as per your previous request I have still got tmp/assets at chmod 777

if i change to html the email is sent out fine.
therefore I did a little more digging and fount that the tmp/assets folder contained a .htaccess file which had the following content

<Files “*”>

Deny from all

<IfModule !mod_access_compat>

Deny from all

Deny from all

by removing this .htaccess file the email reports started sending again.

Now when I click send report now button on the weekly report it sends a monthly report (even though it is selected for weekly report)

The monthly report fails to send entirely giving the following error
An error occured while sending ‘PDF Email Report - 16.today.1.en.pdf’ to . Error was 'Unable to send mail. ’

Can you assist me to fix this final hurdle?

do I need the .htaccess?
is 777 still the right file permissions and is there a risk keeping this as 777?

Thanks for the more details. I am VERY surprised that removing the .htaccess fixes partly the issue. Can you please try, to put it back, and check the issue is again verified? and then if you delete it again, it works again? please confirm that, it will be useful!

Hi
Ok I have tested it again and found that not to be the case. In fact I must have triggered something to get the reports to send again, maybe when I removed the .htacess file I also removed the pdf’s that were in there two, maybe one was corrupt or something.
So the .htaccess has been put back but the behaviour hasn’t changed, the weekly report sends as a monthly report and the monthly reports wont send at all saying ‘unable to send email’

Look forward to hearing from you.

OK I think I found the bug, at least I found one! :slight_smile:

please apply this patch http://dev.piwik.org/trac/changeset/6752 and let me know if it works again ?