Manual utf8mb4 Update - Webserver Error

Hello

As described in article Manual converting to utf8mb4 for Matomo-4.x I have converted all Matomo databases to utf8mb4 using phpMyAdmin.

I random checked some databases and found the following:
Collation set to: utf8mb4_general_ci
All character fields are configured with collation utf8mb4_general_ci
So it seems the change was done correctly on the DB level.

After the update I added

charset = “utf8mb4” in the [database] section of the Matomo configi.ini.php file.

After this change tracking is not working, I get an error message in the server log:
mod_fcgid: stderr: Error in Matomo (tracker): Set Charset failed: Can’t initialize character set utf8mb4 (path: /usr/share/mysql/charsets/)

When I remove the charset = “utf8mb4” config tracking is working again, but I am not comfortable with this setting.

Versions:
Matomo-Version: 4.1.0
MySQL-Version: 5.5.41-MariaDB-log
PHP-Version: 7.3.18

In addition to the manual update I tried to update the DB from the General Settings in the Matomo Settings area, but it seems that this job never started (no change in config file after waiting for days).

Could someone help with the error message and point me to the correct measures? The instance is hosted on a shared webhosting, so my possibilities to make settings is limited.

It would also be interesting to get a more detailed description of the manual process. Since I have no console access I cannot run ./console core:convert-to-utf8mb4 --show command as suggested in the FAQ.

Many thanks for suggestions!