Abandoned Cart Implementation in Shopify

Hello, I am tried finding solution to the implementation of Abandoned Cart into Shopify but I am unaware how this metric is being tracked and how it works. Is there any way to implement the abandoned cart tracking into the tracking code in order to track this metric in shopify?

Reading the doc:

Understanding the Abandoned Cart Analytics

Cart abandonment happens when somebody adds a product to their shopping cart but for one reason or another, doesn’t make a purchase. Often the total value of products abandoned in online shopping carts, accounts for a large amount of lost potential revenue. Without analytics, you might never realise this was happening. Matomo can not only track how many people abandon their carts, but also the potential revenue that was lost in their carts. If you discover that you have a problem with lots of people abandoning carts you can use Matomo to dig into what might be happening.

I understand that if a user adds items to the cart (thanks to the cart update event), and does never order, then Matomo will deduce the cart has been abandoned…

to track this feature, is the basic tracking code on theme.liquid adequate to track it? or is there a specific file we can add it in shopify to track it?

I have the same issue here.
I need to track abandoned cart for funnel + session recording and I don’t know how to do.
What is strange is we are able to see this metric on Ecommerce overview report, but we can’t track it in funnel.
I think we have to use the tag manager, but I am not sure. :woman_shrugging:

Sorry @itsbinay I don’t know theme.liquid.
In my opinion, the abandoned cart should be “automatically implemented” in any case…

No, Tag manager has no direct relation with ecommerce feature, nor with funnel plugin…
@acolombet, first we’ll try to fix the funnel issue… How did you try to configure it?
About session recording, I think the problem is that session recording (yes or no the session must be recorded) must be defined at navigation start, whereas the abandoned cart is known… When the user leaves the website!

Hi @heurteph-ei

My dev team help me with this.
It was pretty easy, but I needed a dev to do it, because shopify doesn’t allow us to put some code in checkout page…
We created 2 events: add-to-cart and reach checkout.
With this 2 events, I was able to create the funnel and I can see the purchase journey :slight_smile:

Hi @itsbinay

I confirm. The abandoned cart is automatically implemented in shopify. We used the Matomo shopify installation documentation and everything is functional.

1 Like