Why is Visitor ID changing between sites? 😅

Hi there,

Thank you for what looks to be a promising product. We are testing out Matomo, but have problems with tracking a visitor across multiple domains, despite having cross-domain tracking set up:

Matomo changes the visitorID value of the cookie while changing domains.

I have (of course) tested this in an incognito window.

I have a website where the user visits www.domain_com first, then to signup they go to auth.domain_com and ultimately they get their own subdomain such as customer12.domain_com.

1. First the cookie looks normal this on www.domain_com.

2. Then after going to auth.domain_com it looks like the 2nd step in the image below (ie. new name and value).

3. And then when going to the customers subdomain (like customer12.domain_com), it again changes name and value (but this time keeps the previous cookie alive):

What can be wrong?

I have added all the above websites (ie “.domain.com” as the other sites are subdomains), to the Admin > Websites > Manage and the Tracking Code has “track across subdomains” and “cross domain linking” enabled.

Matomo is tracking this as 1 visitor, but the ID changes, which also means that I cannot get the ID via JS in the beginning and then assume that is the visitors ID for remaining visits :-/

The issue perhaps seems a little similar to Two sessions instead of one - visitor ID and user ID - but I of course do not know if that is true.

What can I do? Did I set something up wrong or is it a bug?

Thank you so much for any help!

Hi @Kimh
Can you share the full bootstrap code you included in your 3 pages (with domain obfuscated)? Indeed, the configuration in Admin > Websites > Manage and the Tracking Code has “track across subdomains” and “cross domain linking” enabled. are there just to help you to build the bootstrap tracking code…

An idea if we cannot solve your issue: