Why does piwiki use flash?

Ok, i was going to use piwiki but then i noticed that it uses the swf file for it’s graphs. I imagine that it could use javascript or something similar for it’s graphing needs. So i was just wondering why it does and if there is anyway around this. If there is not, i guess i’ll attempt to find one that doesn’t require me to have flash installed on my computer.

The decision was made when JavaScript charting libraries weren’t as full featured. Even now there are still gaps in platform availability (svg or canvas), performance, and functionality.

We do have plans to offer non-Flash charting as an alternative.

I haven’t tested with OFC2, but earlier versions of Piwik which used OFC1 did work with swfdec.

[quote=vipsoft @ Feb 14 2010, 06:37 PM]The decision was made when JavaScript charting libraries weren’t as full featured. Even now there are still gaps in platform availability (svg or canvas), performance, and functionality.

We do have plans to offer non-Flash charting as an alternative.

I haven’t tested with OFC2, but earlier versions of Piwik which used OFC1 did work with swfdec.[/quote]
ah ok, and well truth be told, i’d rather not have another flash like plugin installed. I uininstalled it simply b/c of the fact that i didnt’ go to any sites which FORCED me to have it, and it was just sitting there literally taking up space, and annoying me with a bunch of random ads that are based off of it, plus when i was using it, it prevented me from going completely 64bit with my dear old firefox. And i guess, i’ll wait for a while then. I know that javascript doesn’t perform as fast as flash, but it’s still a thing i try to avoid now as to not make myself have to reinstall the plugin and go back to using a 32bit browser. I might also look through it even though i’m not a javascript wizard and find some way to use a javascript charter to aggregate my data onto it.

Just gonna have to look through the options. I came upon this site after reading about the german govt talking about anti-googleanalytics. And honestly, i was never found of sending my data to anyone else.

In the meantime, try out the 64bit version of the open source swfdec browser plugin and use something like the AdBlock Plus (Firefox extension) to block ads.