What's the difference between unique page views and visits?

I don’t understand the difference between

• unique page views: Available in Behavior → Pages
    and
  • visits: Available in custom reports

My understanding so far:
unqique pages views: Are counted the first time a user visits a page during his session. In every following session in the time range, each first page view is counted again and adds up to the sum.

visits: Each first page view during a session. And also here, each following first page view in following sessions are added to the sum.

Thanks!

Hi @MatomoKV
As this concerns the Custom reports premium plugin, I changed the topic category and let @innocraft answer your question…

Hi @MatomoKV you can learn more here https://glossary.matomo.org/

Visits : If a visitor comes to your website for the first time or if they visit a page more than 30 minutes after their last page view, this will be recorded as a new visit.

Unique Pageviews : The number of visits that included this page. If a page was viewed multiple times during one visit, it is only counted once.

HI there,

from the explanation in the glossary I don’t understand the difference. To my current understanding both metrics should lead to the same figure.

Perhaps, could please explain the difference to me by the following simplified exampe?

www.simpleurl.de/topicsite
time-range: 30 days, from 01.01 - 31.01
Visitor A: visits the page 1 time in the time range
Visitor B: visits the page 2 times in the time range
Visitor C and D: visit the page 3 times in the time range

to my understanding the results would be as follows:
unique page views: 4
visits: 9

Is that correct?

In my opinion, visits should not apply to a page… But to visits!
In Matomo there is separated reports. Visits and Behavior…
Unique page view is, (still in my opinion) a behavior type of data, whereas Visit… a visit type of data!

hi @MatomoKV, not quite as if visitor B visits the same page 2 times within 30min/time range, this will count as 1 visit.

another example would be.

If a visitor A comes to a webpage 2 times within an hour (30mins apart) it will count as 2 visits.
However this will still count as 1 unique pageviews.

Hi @V.K

well, then let’s rephrase the example
time-range: 30 days, from 01.01 - 31.01
Visitor A: visits the page 1 time in the time range
Visitor B: visits the page 2 times in two different sessions in the time range (more than 30 minutes apart)
Visitor C: visits the page 3 times in three different sessions in the time range (more than 30 minutes apart)
Visitor D: visits the page 3 times in three different sessions in the time range (more than 30 minutes apart)

to my understanding the results would be as follows:
unique page views: 4
visits: 9

Are the results now correct?

1 Like

hi @MatomoKV yes that is correct.

1 Like