What is user anonymous@example.org after install? Can be deleted?

Hi!

I just did a fresh in stall of Matomo (latest version 4.13.0) and noticed in the user management section that besides the user account which I created for me while doing the installation with Softaculous, there also pre-exists another user called anonymous with no access and the email anonymous@example.org.

What is this user, is this really only an example of a user account that I can safely delete now? Or is it an account used maybe by some Matomo system service, by Softaculous, my provider, etc. so that I should NOT delete it?

Thanks for any feedback / information!

If I am not wrong, this is the anonymous user. For example, in https://demo.matomo.cloud/ the anonymous user has read access to site #1

An e-mail was sent to anonymous@example.org when my System Admin was created.

Is there a way to avoid that?

I got:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: anonymous@example.org an MX or SRV record indicated no SMTP service

Subject: Security Notification
Someone created a new user (login: ***) in your account.

Hi @Anders,
How is configured noreply_email_address param (visible in :gear: > Diagnostic > Config file)?

What if I don’t want any anonymous users to have access to anything?
I can’t seem to delete that user?

Plus the email address ending on @example.org forces me to allow “example .org” as a possible “New user invite email domain”

Hi @janv8000

Just don’t allow anonymous user on any site…

As this is a built-in user. Then cannot be deleted.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean…?

Message displayed in Users Manager: see below

Error message displayed when trying to prune the example .org setting:

Users manager:

Hi @janv8000
I think this is a new feature of Matomo 5.0.0
You should create a new issue at:

(the anonymous user should not allow example.org as authorized domain…)

1 Like

Can’t include links in posts so plain text:

1 Like