What counts as big?

I’m thinking of rolling out a branded version of Piwik for our small design company. We’d be managing more than 20 sites that have around 200-300 uniques a day.

Is that big?

I’d planned one install for all sites, is that the right way?

I’d be installing it on shared hosting from Dreamhost, unlimited storage and bandwidth, but not CPU/RAM. Is that likely to be a problem?

Basically, is this going to kill my server, or am I going to be fine?

Rich

I’m thinking of rolling out a branded version of Piwik for our small design company. We’d be managing more than 20 sites that have around 200-300 uniques a day.

That’s a small setup.

Is that big?

No style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

I’d planned one install for all sites, is that the right way?

That’s correct.

I’d be installing it on shared hosting from Dreamhost, unlimited storage and bandwidth, but not CPU/RAM. Is that likely to be a problem?

Not with this size. There are companies using Piwik with thousands of websites without any problems. The MultiSites plugin is currently a bottle neck if you have hundrets of websites.

Basically, is this going to kill my server, or am I going to be fine?

You’ll be perfectly fine.

Good luck with your setup!

So what would qualify as a bigger setup then?

Depends on number of websites vs. number of hits of course.

E.g.:
If you have a single website with millions of hits per day your Piwik instance would need to process a lot of data.

Similarly if you have hundrets/thousands of websites with an average of 500-5000 hits per day piwik needs to track a lot of data.

Personally I’d count a Piwik installation as big if it has ~100.000 - 1 Million Hits per day, but again that’s just my opinion.

See High traffic Piwik FAQ

~