Website dropdown doesn't appear in 2.2

Thought this problem might be a server related problem, so tried a fresh install of pikwik 2.2.2 on another server - setup shows compatible, and no reported problems (PHP/MYsql fine) - but unfortunately all the existing problems of only one site selectable domain on the dropdowns , and visitor log results not working as expected. Is there anyway to back port a database back to an earlier working version of piwik ?

Obviously with a fresh intall there was no need to clear the /tmp folder (which I tried on my working version) and to avoid memory issues I have set memory limit in php.ini to -1 so unlimited (well limited by max ram/swap on server).

I’ve tried all that too with no luck. There has to be something different in the 2.1 version that broke this.

Can you please try with latest beta? I would like to test early beta and RC releases, how do I enable automatic updates to use these development versions? - Analytics Platform - Matomo

I just upgraded to the beta. No change in the dropdown problem. In addition, I am getting this error (even though the page does display site data)

Failed to load HTML file: Please check your server configuration. You may want to whitelist “*.html” files from the “plugins” directory. The HTTP status code is 403 for URL “plugins/Feedback/angularjs/ratefeature/ratefeature.html”

Bob

hI bob, can you please try to delete the following files:

plugins/.htaccess

And try again? does it work then?

I deleted ~/plugins/.htaccess. No change.

Sorry,
Bob

Ok thanks. So, I would really like to find the solution to your problem.

The problem is that: The HTTP status code is 403 for URL “plugins/Feedback/angularjs/ratefeature/ratefeature.html”

Could you maybe check in your server error logs and see if you can find a more descriptive error message regarding this 403 error? sometimes you can access error logs via /var/log/apache2/error.log or by asking your webhost

Matt,

I reverted back to the latest stable since the problem I need to solve is the lost of the website dropdown list and the “all sites” item. I will be happy to go back to the beta once we have that solved. I just don’t want to introduce more problems into a difficult situation.

Thanks
Bob

Well the truth is, problem won’t be solved unless we can try some things on your server or another users’ (we cannot reproduce issue here)

I'm back on the beta. I read my error log and the issue with the 403 was that I didn't have EXEC CGI in my apache directory. However, the problem with no site selector dropdown remains. Can you help with that?

Thanks,
Bob

Here is the current error log (after fixing the CGI option)

[Tue May 20 11:58:28 2014] [error] client 198.228.215.117Exec format error: exec of '/usr/local/www/piwik/plugins/CoreHome/angularjs/siteselector/siteselector.html' failed, referer: https://bobwalter.net/piwik/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=3&period=day&date=yesterday
[Tue May 20 11:58:28 2014] [error] [client 198.228.215.117] Premature end of script headers: siteselector.html, referer: https://bobwalter.net/piwik/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=3&period=day&date=yesterday
[Tue May 20 11:58:28 2014] [error] client 198.228.215.117Exec format error: exec of '/usr/local/www/piwik/plugins/Feedback/angularjs/ratefeature/ratefeature.html' failed, referer: https://bobwalter.net/piwik/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=3&period=day&date=yesterday
[Tue May 20 11:58:28 2014] [error] [client 198.228.215.117] Premature end of script headers: ratefeature.html, referer: https://bobwalter.net/piwik/index.php?module=CoreHome&action=index&idSite=3&period=day&date=yesterday

I tried to fix this bug in latest 2.2.3 beta7 , can you please try it?

How to use beta: I would like to test early beta and RC releases, how do I enable automatic updates to use these development versions? - Analytics Platform - Matomo

The bug that was fixed: Unicorn! · GitHub

I have upgraded to Piwik 2.2.3-b7 - and alas the same problem exists with regards to the dropdown - only two entries shown (main id=1 website, and All Websites, not over 400+ websites selectable), despite now having over 400 domains in the database (was below 120, but had to do a restore to a pre-pruned database) - see image attached (sorry for hgh.tv mention but unavoidable to show problem). As mentioned elsewhere, tried a fresh install, but copied recovered database over, and exactly the same problem exists on a fresh install - possibly suggests a problem with the database updating or a coding error… maybe a stage was missed on auto updating ?

Not sure if this helps but noticed a few entries in a error_log file using the latest Beta Piwik 2.2.3-b7.

[21-May-2014 09:37:48 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method Piwik\SettingsPiwik::rewriteMiscUserPathWithInstanceId() in /home/manageme/public_html/piwik/plugins/CoreAdminHome/CustomLogo.php on line 150
[21-May-2014 09:37:48 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method Piwik\SettingsPiwik::rewriteTmpPathWithInstanceId() in /home/manageme/public_html/piwik/core/Twig.php on line 63

No idea if related or not ?

Just wanted to say thanks to Matt and rest of the development team here - Piwik is a brilliant opensource package.

I do agree with Bob - it does suggest a change in the way the website dropdown either displays or via ajax get it’s data from version 2.1. Just tried another browser too on windows (ie) and same issue (normally use firefox on linux).

Not sure if this helps but noticed a few entries in a error_log file using the latest Beta Piwik 2.2.3-b7.

these errors are due to some files not uploaded properly. please try to upgrade to Version 2.3.0-rc which fixes all known critical issues. if you still have any problem after upgrading to this release please let us know!

And even better if you have a problem with 2.3.0-rc create a ticket on our issue tracker: http://dev.piwik.org/

we would like to fix issues before Monday which is release cut-off

I created a bug (#5213) covering this error. I included the latest error messages from the error log. Something changed between all previous versions and the latest stable and betas. The missing file is just favicon which wouldn’t break functionality. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Bob

Just letting you know that the latest beta version Piwik 2.3.0-rc4 alas still hasn’t fixed the critical dropdown bug - same as before only shows the first registered site, and link to full website list, but cannot pick other websites as it is mean’t to do.

Also want to add that the dropdown on the User settings admin side also doesn’t work either, in as far as only 1 website is selectable - hasn’t worked since version 2.1.

Using firefox developer tools - as assuming an ajax data problem for the dropdown getting this error message which MIGHT be important… Event triggered when clicking the dropdown.

Error:

An attempt was made to declare a non-UTF-8 encoding for JSON retrieved using XMLHttpRequest. Only UTF-8 is supported for decoding JSON.

index.php:1592
Ignoring get or set of property because the “this” object is incorrect. reps.js:479

getProps: function (props, object, max, filter)
{
    max = max || 3;
    if (!object)
        return [];

var len = 0;

try
    {
        for (var name in object)
        {
            var value;
            try
            {
                value = object[name];  /* NOT LIKING THIS ON DROPDOWN SELECTING */
            }
            catch (exc)
            {
                continue;
            }

MIGHT be a firefox issue, as I THINK reps.js is built into chrome part of firefox itself or maybe just firebug. Something about none UTF-8 ajax encodings. Seeing if something about this on the web.

But then the dropdown also doesn’t work on IE on my windows machine which has nothing of course to do with Mozilla engine.

Based on Piwik 2.3.0-rc4 version

More info…

Javascript error generated for this on selecting the website dropdown.

Request URL: http://*****/piwik/index.php?date=previous7&format=JSON&idSite=1&method=SitesManager.getPatternMatchSites&module=API&pattern=%25&period=range
Request Method: POST
Status Code: HTTP/1.1 406 Not Acceptable

Based on version Piwik 2.3.0-rc4