WebAnalyzer and Piwik thousands of hits apart

Now these stat differences are way too different? Dig this…

WebAnalyzer 5 April 2049 hits, Piwik 6 visits
WebAnalyzer 6 April 1645 hits Piwik 15 visits
WebAnalyzer 7 April 1 hit (5:45PM) Piwik 6 visits

I mean I don’t get it. These stats are so far apart for 5, 6 April dates it defies comprehension. I do not grok/understand/believe how the stats for 5 April and 6 April can be THOUSANDS apart. I think both of these programs are not to be believed. And there I was, thinking I had a great program with Piwik. I think it is time to roll out Google Analytics. One thing about Google, they really know what they are doing, and if I am going to trust anyone, I will trust them. Sorry guys, WebAnalyzer has been around way too long to be so far out in their reports. I mean they can LOSE data, get corrupted, but this gap of reporting defies credibility. Well it was nice while it lasted, but the honeymoon is over. I am going to Google… where the pros reside…

Maybe one of you will say WebAnalyzer is out to lunch, but I can’t buy that. Not with this discrepancy… LET GOOGLE BE THE JUDGE.

well, I removed Piwik’s code and inserted Google Analytics code. I will soon see how Google’s reports match up to WebAnalyzer. At such time I will have a better idea what is going on, why the 2 stats, Piwik and Webanalyzer are so far apart. I don’t believe the Piwik stats, as they are way too low, nothing like the trend of the past 6 weeks. It should be interesting. I will report back in a few days once Google’s Analytics (24 hr to set up) have been running so that I can compare the results with WebAnalyzer. Something is for sure out of wack here. I suspect Piwik but speculation is not the answer. More data is required, namely Google to the rescue.

[quote=jimfre @ Apr 8 2010, 01:13 AM]Now these stat differences are way too different? Dig this…

WebAnalyzer 5 April 2049 hits, Piwik 6 visits
WebAnalyzer 6 April 1645 hits Piwik 15 visits
WebAnalyzer 7 April 1 hit (5:45PM) Piwik 6 visits

I mean I don’t get it. These stats are so far apart for 5, 6 April dates it defies comprehension. I do not grok/understand/believe how the stats for 5 April and 6 April can be THOUSANDS apart. I think both of these programs are not to be believed. And there I was, thinking I had a great program with Piwik. I think it is time to roll out Google Analytics. One thing about Google, they really know what they are doing, and if I am going to trust anyone, I will trust them. Sorry guys, WebAnalyzer has been around way too long to be so far out in their reports. I mean they can LOSE data, get corrupted, but this gap of reporting defies credibility. Well it was nice while it lasted, but the honeymoon is over. I am going to Google… where the pros reside…

Maybe one of you will say WebAnalyzer is out to lunch, but I can’t buy that. Not with this discrepancy… LET GOOGLE BE THE JUDGE.[/quote]

7 april stats for webanalyzer now showing 1649 for 7 april as compared to 6 visits from Piwik, a huge discrepancy. Each day a huge discrepancy. There is no way 6 visitors hit my site 200-300 times each, is not realistic, just not possible. Somebody is messing up big time. My history shows 500-1500 hits daily even with site not live. Music internet sites very popular. Everybody wants to know about new kid on the block, especially in my case when everything I do is different, way different… So again Piwik is now in corner with dunce hat on. Maybe I write my own hit counter program, is simple simon to do that, just to see if hits are wrong, forget about analysis of hits, just the actual hit counter. Unless Google Analytics matches up. Both Google and Piwik use javascript. Is this the reason for the errors? People turning js oFF???

Statistics from Piwik and my other web analytics tool (log analyzer, webalizer or javascript based) are different, why?

http://piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/#faq_50

[quote=matthieu @ Apr 8 2010, 01:39 PM]Statistics from Piwik and my other web analytics tool (log analyzer, webalizer or javascript based) are different, why?

piwik.org/faq/troubleshooting/#faq_50[/quote]

This does not explain such a huge discrepancy. I have received hundreds of emails from visitors remarking on my info placeholder screen. This indicates people are indeed reading the whole page, that the page is completely loaded.

I have to say Piwik’s stats are nowhere near accurate. There is no other explanation. It could be that javascript is turned off on hundreds of visitors, this I do not know. I do know I will be implementing my own hit counter calculator, and storing the info. in a mysql table. This will tell me what I want to know, which is WHAT ARE THE REAL HIT COUNTS PER DAY. I could care less about the other stats - repeat visitors, unique visitors, country of origin, etc. These are ‘niceties’ for sure, good information, but unless the basic hit count is accurate, well it is what I call poor logic based on faulty premises. It is like saying 2+2 =5 and then proceeding to create mathematical theorems from a false premise. I have to know the reliability of the FIRST fact, i.e. the a priori fact, WHAT IS THE REAL HIT COUNT. I can exclude my own IP but I only check my site when I update it, so I know my own URL access is irrelevant.

There is no way, no way at all, that WebAnalyzer and Piwik can be over 1000-2000 hits apart, and one day’s stats show almost 2050 hits apart. That defies any sort of reasonable credibility. As you are probably more aware than I am, Google’s Analytics are very similar to Piwik’s, both use javascript. I do not trust javascript reporting. I am creating my OWN calculator. I do trust myself. Unfortunately Piwik’s false stats, and they are false make no mistake about that, have led me down this path. But hey, every bad thing is an opportunity to create a good thing. I doubt I will trust anybody else’s program but my own. The evidence, the data is in, and so far only WebAnalyzer’s stats make any kind of sense.

Such a large discrepancy is often the result of incorrectly pasted tracking code and/or interactions with other JavaScript on the site (e.g., click handlers that return false). Besides JavaScript turned off, other sources of deviation are smartbot filtering and timezone misconfiguration.

We’re here to help, but your SHOUTING and disparaging comments aren’t exactly welcoming. If you’ll PM your website URL (that you’re tracking), I’ll take a look.

[quote=vipsoft @ Apr 8 2010, 05:18 PM]Such a large discrepancy is often the result of incorrectly pasted tracking code and/or interactions with other JavaScript on the site (e.g., click handlers that return false). Besides JavaScript turned off, other sources of deviation are smartbot filtering and timezone misconfiguration.

We’re here to help, but your SHOUTING and disparaging comments aren’t exactly welcoming. If you’ll PM your website URL (that you’re tracking), I’ll take a look.[/quote]

code is pasted correctly, at least I pasted in the code that Piwik told me to paste. There is no other javascript code running (at least there wasn’t until I replaced Piwik’s code with Google’s).

There is no smartbot filtering. There could be timezone misconfiguration. But I have no access to either php.ini or timezone(system) in the mysql database due to shared server.

At any rate what I have are only placeholder screens, very simple html nothing extraordinary at least on the index.html code. I will have javascript code on the live site and I do have javascript code on 1 of the pages as this is a php module using 3rd party GUI editors.

At any event, there is no point in bothering anymore. I am not using Piwik. It might work for others. It doesn’t work for me. I am using my own php code that works each time, every time. It updates a database by a simple increment function.

I have no need for exotic stats. I am not a publicly held company. I am only accountable to myself. Therefore I am quite content to run my own stats program. Besides this, the hosting company is investigating the odd up and down behaviour of WebAnalyzer. They are now of the opinion that there is something funky , i.e. incorrect about their reporting. But again, this is not an important deal to me. A simple hit counter , php driven is all I need. This is actually pretty good. I don’t want javascript code other than what I put there myself. Google might report accurately but it is too early to say. It is not yet 24 hours since I initiated with Google Analytics. The code has been verified (I see the checkmark on my Google login page) so all is ok. Whether the stats are accurate remains to be seen. I have no axe to grind here. I am impartial to Piwik. I learned something. I am way better off without a huge program hogging many database tables. I don’t need that. I am removing all of it. I say goodbye. I say thank you for your kind intentions. But I have moved on and this is my last post. You don’t need to respond further. I will not be returning. I will not be reading what you write. And I am neither shouting nor screaming. Facts are facts. I am way ahead of the curve right now. Simpler maintenance, more lightweight. I have what I need. I don’t need to bother with an atomic bomb when I only need a flyswatter. I don’t have to bother with Piwik updates. So for sure a kind of negative experience has helped me find a smoother more effective solution, for what I want. Perhaps not for everyone, but for myself Whew what a relief!!!

Regards and goodbye forever!

[quote=jimfre @ Apr 8 2010, 11:45 PM]code is pasted correctly, at least I pasted in the code that Piwik told me to paste. There is no other javascript code running (at least there wasn’t until I replaced Piwik’s code with Google’s).

There is no smartbot filtering. There could be timezone misconfiguration. But I have no access to either php.ini or timezone(system) in the mysql database due to shared server.

At any rate what I have are only placeholder screens, very simple html nothing extraordinary at least on the index.html code. I will have javascript code on the live site and I do have javascript code on 1 of the pages as this is a php module using 3rd party GUI editors.

At any event, there is no point in bothering anymore. I am not using Piwik. It might work for others. It doesn’t work for me. I am using my own php code that works each time, every time. It updates a database by a simple increment function.

I have no need for exotic stats. I am not a publicly held company. I am only accountable to myself. Therefore I am quite content to run my own stats program. Besides this, the hosting company is investigating the odd up and down behaviour of WebAnalyzer. They are now of the opinion that there is something funky , i.e. incorrect about their reporting. But again, this is not an important deal to me. A simple hit counter , php driven is all I need. This is actually pretty good. I don’t want javascript code other than what I put there myself. Google might report accurately but it is too early to say. It is not yet 24 hours since I initiated with Google Analytics. The code has been verified (I see the checkmark on my Google login page) so all is ok. Whether the stats are accurate remains to be seen. I have no axe to grind here. I am impartial to Piwik. I learned something. I am way better off without a huge program hogging many database tables. I don’t need that. I am removing all of it. I say goodbye. I say thank you for your kind intentions. But I have moved on and this is my last post. You don’t need to respond further. I will not be returning. I will not be reading what you write. And I am neither shouting nor screaming. Facts are facts. I am way ahead of the curve right now. Simpler maintenance, more lightweight. I have what I need. I don’t need to bother with an atomic bomb when I only need a flyswatter. I don’t have to bother with Piwik updates. So for sure a kind of negative experience has helped me find a smoother more effective solution, for what I want. Perhaps not for everyone, but for myself Whew what a relief!!!

Regards and goodbye forever![/quote]

PIWIK REMOVED, 23 MILLION BYTES, over 1250 FILES ALL REMOVED, RELIEF! MYSQL TABLES REMOVED, RELIEF

RELIEF RELIEF! SEE YOU AT THE AKASHIK MOVIES…

I’m glad you’ve found a solution that works for you.

BTW You pasted the GA code incorrectly on one of your pages by splitting the document.write string. Since the Piwik tracking code is similar in this regard, the same mistake would have resulted in a syntax error (unterminated string literal) and thus, explain the huge discrepancy.

jeez, was he high or sth? that kind of comment isnt constructive and doesnt deserve the support. he just need to calm down and figure out what was wrong and get the bug fixed…