Use Case with Custom Dimensions

Hi,

We have a use-case, which requires some clarification. We have successfully installed Matomo on our servers, Integrated in our application and right now we are in a phase of planning for tracking custom events.

Initially, We were planning to use the app version as a custom variable in Matomo but as we went through the docs it recommends to use the Custom Dimensions. When we moved ahead with the docs of Custom Dimension we came to know that "If multiple values are set for same dimension then the last value set will be used”. That said, in our understanding we would not be able to use the previous values of the Dimension App Version to visualise the reports. We need confirmation / clarification on this use-case.

To be more precise let me give you an example. Lets say Initially the value of my custom dimension App Version is 1.0.0. After a week we release a new version 1.0.1 so the new value of the dimension App Version would be 1.0.1. Now for a user I might have historical data when he was using version 1.0.0 and later upgraded to 1.0.1. So I would like to view historical data with that segment (like show me particular screen usage for all users who had version 1.0.0 vs 1.0.1).

In such case, any suggestion?

Thanks,
Chetan

The custom dimension is stored in the visit itself. so if you create a segment App Version is 1.0.1 then it will only select which had this app version. So it should work as you expect :+1: