Upgrade version 1.1.1 to 2.0.3

Hello,

I have an old Piwik version : 1.1.1 and I would like to update it with the latest (2.0.3). My problem is that the direct upgrade 1.1.1 => 2.0.3 doesn’t work because of a SQL error : “Unknown column ‘config_md5config’ in ‘log_visit’”. The problem is that this column isn’t in the 1.1.1 version and some requests need it.

I thought to upgrade each version for less errors : 1.1.1 => 1.1.2 => 1.1.3… but the problem is that the database is very big : about 17,000,000 entries for 3.8 Go so one upgrade is very very long. And I have to do it in a development environment before do it in production…

So could you help me to upgrade my Piwik please ? :slight_smile:

Thank you !

i would try to go to 1.12 then try the 2.03. i think though we will soon see a 2.04 so maybe wait until that is available…

Interesting, I have been trialing exactly the same upgrade path, direct 1.1.1 to 2.0.3 and I’ve been getting a different error (which is easy enough to rectify.)

I don’t know how many rows we have but the DB is about 19GB. Are you running the script from the command line; I would guess so with a large DB?

Maybe try the updates from 1.1.1 > 1.12, if that doesn’t work then try the previous release. Or see if going to 1.2 works and then 1.2 > 2.0.3.

My issue was that the script at some point created a table and then it was trying to create the table again at a later point. I just renamed the table and it doesn’t seem to have affected anything from what I can tell.

Sorry about that. Technically the upgrade path should work, but I now realize why it could fail in some cases… Hope that the intermediate upgrade works for you. Let us know if you are stuck, which command is broken. It should be easy to fix it in any case

I followed your advice for the upgrade : 1.1.1 => 1.2 => 2.0.3 and it worked.

I have a last question : I checked the differences between the code of the 1.1.1 and 2.0.3 for a website and they’re are differents so I would like to know if the 1.1.1 codes are still corrects or if I need to changed them ?

Thank you :slight_smile:

faldren, the old tracking code still works, but it is recommended to upgrade to the new one. The new tracking code is asynchronous and won’t block your site loading.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

I have 2 last questions : in the 1.1.1 version, we used the CAS plugin. In the 1.12 it still works but not in the 2.0.3 where Piwik wants to user the Login plugin instead of CASLogin.

When the plugin will be available for the 2.X version ? Where can I see the compatibility of this plugin for each Piwik version ?

Thank you

It looks like the Cas plugin was not updated to run on Piwik 2 yet: Plugin to provide Login via Central Authentication Service (CAS) · Issue #598 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

if you need this functionnality, we can build it for you maybe. If you are interested and have a budget, contact Piwik Consultants