Upgrade from 1.9 to 2.2

I had been running 1.9 to do a data study. I haven’t checked on it in 6 months. We were doing a 2 year data study on a website. I went to log in and got

Your Piwik configuration file appears to be misconfigured. You can either remove config/config.ini.php and resume installation, or correct the database connection settings.

The PDO extension is required for this adapter but the extension is not loaded

So i went to update to current version. I backed up my old file version and updated. I then got the message of need to change the config file. I went in deleted that so it would continue to process the update. I used the same data base log id and pass and continued through the rest of the process. I selected reuse tables as well.

When I log in all of the sites that i had in there are gone. I dont see any but the one it said to start tracking when going through the steps

Before when i did the updates i never had this issue.

Im not sure what i did wrong?

update: the original code installed on the sites is still there. i started to ad new sites to track in the admin and am able to see data from today but nothing from before. site 2 -4 are producing data that the code is active again?

The PDO extension is required for this adapter but the extension is not loaded

This is server misconfiguration issue (maybe your server config changed in the background)

When I log in all of the sites that i had in there are gone. I dont see any but the one it said to start tracking when going through the steps

This should not happen, Piwik will never delete websites by itself. Maybe someone else deleted the websites? or maybe an old database was restored on your server prior to when you added the new sites?