Upgrade from 1.4 to 1.7.1 Increased server load

Hi Guys,

I have a network of 4500 sites running. They are all low traffic sites, except one which is about 1000 unique visitors daily. A few others are 50-100/day.

Ok, so I hoped that upgrading from 1.4 to 1.7.1 would reduce server load given some performance improvements.

Attached is a screenshot which shows what server load was like before, and after (the red line). Before load always went up during auto archiving, but dropped at completion. With the upgrade to 1.7.1 load just stays high.

Note that which running the coreupdate script from command line it ran for a while then reported a “Segmentation Fault” error. The upgrade seemed to have run however as everything was working.

Have now reverted back to version 1.4

Anyone else experienced similar issues?

Andrew

Load shouldn’t be high all the time since you have small traffic, therefore maybe there is a problem somewhere.

1. enable mysql slow query log. Is there any query logging with more than 1s ?
  2. in the process list what is using most memory/CPU? mysql, apache, other?

Otherwise 1.7.1 should be faster than 1.4 AFAIK, so it would be nice to get to the bottom of this :slight_smile:

I reverted back to version 1.4. However will run the upgrade again later in the week and see what happens.