Upgrade Error 2.12.0 - 2.12.1

This is not the error discussed in this thread. It’s the same issue as in that other thread. It seems you set the path incorrectly, or a permission issue. Check path and permissions. If you cannot solve it by yourself you should follow up in 301 Moved Permanently, not here.

Avarage_Joe or Matt: can you please change the title of this thread to reflect the error message, e.g. “Unknown SSL protocol error when trying to upgrade from 2.12.0”. Thanks!

Any news on a bugfix? (I’m on a hosted server, so I can’t configure anything.)

Edit: On a shared hosted server, I mean.

Hi everyone, could you try patching the “plugins/CoreUpdater/Updater.php” file with this change: Fixes #7576 auto-updater fail · matomo-org/piwik@6bce952 · GitHub

And let me know if it at least shows the option to download over HTTP instead of HTTPS?

Yes, it works. Thanks a lot!

Fantastic, the download option appears and the upgrade works perfectly. Thanks a lot

Works for me after that patch too

Pefect! Fixed it for me! Shows the 2 Update links. HTTPS and HTTP. Thanks Matt!

Thanks, that works. However, I still think that your servers are configured incorrectly. I added an explanation to the bug tracker item.

This solved the issue in the sense that I got the option of updating over HTTP. It would be nice if this could be investigated by the devs so that Piwik can be upgraded via SSL in the future (that is a nice feature).

UPDATE: no such joy. The update appears to have failed and borked my Piwik install. Downloading Piwik and upgrading manually (hoping that will fix my install).

UPDATE #2: manual update was successful.

2.12.1 doesn’t seem ready for prime-time yet…

github patch offered HTTP also, which worked for me. Thanks Matt.

PS, i did not have to chmod anything beforehand.

Yes the patch worked for me. Thanks

This bug has been in the last several versions. Updates have not been possible without manual intervention for about the last 5 releases. I’m baffled why this has not been addressed yet. Currently trying to update from 2.12 to 2.13

curl_exec: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to builds.piwik.org:443 . Hostname requested was: builds.piwik.org

Seems that either the builds.piwik.org server needs to be fixed to allow ssl properly, or the product needs to be fixed to communicate correctly for updates.

[redacted - off topic]

Still no joy when attempting to auto-upgrade to 2.13. This is on a Linux server. Manual upgrade had no issues.

FIX: simple 2 line patch, see March 30 post by Matthieu Napoli

I used that patch previously and it still did not allow a SSL update plus it munged my Piwik installation until I manually updated using the non-SSL option. Not feeling really confident that patch really works all that well…

These past few updates I simply hand edited plugins/CoreUpdater/Updater.php , adding the two lines.
… over HTTP
NOTE: I have installations on RHEL 5 and 6, and CentOS 6

That band-aids the problem by allowing you to use a non-SSL connection for the update (and failed for me to boot). The real problem of being unable to update over SSL is still unsolved. Perhaps this is an issue on my end, but there isn’t any debugging/troubleshooting information to assist Piwik users in solving this issue that I’m aware of.

I shouldn’t have to raw edit source code in order to apply an update…

I agree, and was mainly replying for benefit of others, and with same hopes as you.
I guess the more these fill up the quicker things get resolved.
As far as update status and logging, i’ll have a looksee. Maybe it’s certs, can’t say anything yet personally.
Will update here when i find anything/nothing.

doublehelix: can you please remove your comment, it completely distracts people from the correct solution. The error in this thread (curl_exec: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to builds.piwik.org:443 . Hostname requested was: builds.piwik.org ) has nothing to do with the other error about CA certs that is the topic of another thread. Thanks!