Updating piwik

What directory do I have to chmod to do the automatic update, I did the main directory and most of the directories to 777 but i m still getting the error.

what error are you getting exactly? the error should contain the command to run to give permissions to all directories?

There is no directory or file listed to be chmoded. this is what i see

Piwik is unable to overwrite your current installation. You can either fix the directory/file permissions, or download the package and install version 0.9 manually:

For the automated software update, Piwik has to be able to overwrite every file within the piwik folder, and be able to create new directories and/or files. Since you say “most of the directories to 777”, I can only presume that means some are still read-only (as far as the web server user is concerned).

Wait, so you’re saying that in order to run the autoupdate we have to set EVERY single file and folder to an unsafe 777 for it to work?

I get the same error as the person above and it’s a nightmare having to upload and overwrite all the files manually on my connection speed, surely you guys can come up with a method that actually works please?

Thanks for a great program by the way, sorry if I seem ungrateful, it’s just a pain is all.

I never said to chmod 777. I said “writeable” by the “web server user”. This would be some combination of chown/chgrp/chmod, specific to one’s environment.

BTW: the error message you’re getting is because Piwik checks the writeability on a small sampling of files and directories before offering the auto-update.

In 0.9, these directories and files are checked:

• the piwik root folder, e.g., piwik/
  • piwik/index.php
  • piwik/core/
  • piwik/config/global.ini.php

Try changing the ownership/permissions accordingly.

I only got to the following USEFUL prompt in the auto install after I went through and chmodded ALL files and folders in the /core/ directory to 777.

Then it showed these two commands to use…

chown -R www-data:www-data /home/mydomain/public_html/piwik

chmod -R 0755 /home/mydomain/public_html/piwik

after finding out my user and group name is actually “nobody”, which worked fine, and the commands above then of course became…

chown -R nobody:nobody /home/mydomain/public_html/piwik

chmod -R 0755 /home/mydomain/public_html/piwik

the install then finished in seconds and I was all set to go again.

So my point is… surely there must be a better or easier way for you guys to make this so that people can do this automatically on different webservers. Maybe you could devote a little bit more effort towards this and put off the next “shiny pretty widget” for a day or two?

Thanks

We support Piwik in many different hosting environments, and for many, it works well.

For future reference, you might want to tone it down a bit … because I already spend a lot of time on the installer and coreupdater, and have yet to find time to work on shiny widgets.

Sorry, I do apologise for my boorish behaviour. I do realise you guys are putting a lot of effort into Piwik and I love it, I was just somewhat frustrated.

My apologies.

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 9 2010, 09:45 AM]We support Piwik in many different hosting environments, and for many, it works well.

For future reference, you might want to tone it down a bit … because I already spend a lot of time on the installer and coreupdater, and have yet to find time to work on shiny widgets.[/quote]

I changed the permissions but i still got the same error.
“Piwik is unable to overwrite your current installation. You can either
fix the directory/file permissions, or download the package and install
version 2.16.1 manually:…”