Updated to PHP 5.6.2 and now Piwik doesn't work

Hi,
I had the message inside Piwik to upgrade my PHP version:

You must upgrade your PHP version in order to receive the latest Piwik update.
Piwik cannot be upgraded to the latest major version because your PHP version is too old. Please upgrade your PHP version to at least PHP 5.5.9 so your Piwik analytics data stays secure.
Warning
Piwik will stop supporting PHP 5.3 in the next major version. Upgrade your PHP to at least PHP 5.5.9, before it’s too late! The PHP version 5.3 you are using has reached its End of Life (EOL). You are strongly urged to upgrade to a current version, as using this version may expose you to security vulnerabilities and bugs that have been fixed in more recent versions of PHP.

So I asked my web hosts and they updated it to version 5.6.20, however then if I went to my Piwik login it now showed an internal server error and I couldn’t even log in.

I asked my hosts again and they said the error logs were showing the following when loading the page:

[Fri Oct 07 01:41:08 2016] [error] [client 192.240.191.2] (104)Connection reset by peer: FastCGI: comm with server “/dev/shm/danlacey-php.fcgi” aborted: read failed, referer: -myloginurl-
[Fri Oct 07 01:41:08 2016] [error] [client 192.240.191.2] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server “/dev/shm/danlacey-php.fcgi”, referer: -myloginurl-
[Fri Oct 07 01:41:11 2016] [error] [client 192.240.191.2] (104)Connection reset by peer: FastCGI: comm with server “/dev/shm/danlacey-php.fcgi” aborted: read failed, referer: -myloginurl-
[Fri Oct 07 01:41:11 2016] [error] [client 192.240.191.2] Handler for fastcgi-script returned invalid result code 1, referer: -myloginurl-
[Fri Oct 07 01:41:13 2016] [error] [client 192.240.191.2] (104)Connection reset by peer: FastCGI: comm with server “/dev/shm/danlacey-php.fcgi” aborted: read failed, referer: -myloginurl-
[Fri Oct 07 01:41:13 2016] [error] [client 192.240.191.2] FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server “/dev/shm/danlacey-php.fcgi”, referer: -myloginurl-

Note: I replaced https://danlacey.com/analytics with -myloginurl- as it will only let me post 2 links with being a new user.

And so they disabled the PHP cache because they said this could be the problem - which means I can now log in, however it isn’t showing any data inside of Piwik itself now, presumably as a result of disabling the PHP cache and not fixing the underlying issue. I can move around the menus etc, just there are no graphs or stats of any kind.

Can someone please help me get this fixed? I’d really appreciate any help on this.

Many thanks
Dan

TM,DR

Your hoster is lazy! This is a problem with the server.
He assumes that you manage this and that you will solve it.

It is not a Piwik issue, it has to do with your server.
The proxy to the PHP-FPM is no longer working.

Someone needs to connect on your server and solve the problem there. Either your hoster or another service contractor for maintaining the server. I know one :wink:
If you don’t have any SSH access to the server or are not root on it then I suggest changing the hoster.

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. : Yes, my mood is related to a stressful day. Sorry.