Update to 4.0.0: Corrupt index while trying to convert to utf8mb4

Hello,

After upgrade to matomo4 along with other several issues when I try to convert to utf8mb4 using “console core:convert-to-utf8mb4” I got the following error:

SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1034 Index for table ‘matomo_log_hsr_event’ is corrupt; try to repair it.

I have tried to repair the table doing the following:

• repair table stament : fails because is an innodb table.
  • mysql dump and rebuild the table: the error keeps happening after that.
  • optimize table: It fails due the corrupted index.
  • Change storage engine to myisaam, repair and convert back to innodb: The repair says OK but when go back to innodb and run the convert command the index still corrupted.
  • mysql dump change to utf8mb4 manually in the ddl and execute: the indexes still corrupted.

As you can see I have tried everything I could find in the net, ¿Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you in advance.
Best regards

Are you using MariaDB 10.0/1 or MySQL 5.5? This could probably be that bug: https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-18063 - we don’t necessarily expect a bug in the DB engine as a first option, but worth a try to update anyway.

Hello Peterbo,

Thank for you for your answer.

My MariaDB version is 10.5.6-1 :frowning:.

When you check the table:

MariaDB> check table matomo_log_hsr_event;

Which Index is reported corrupt?

You can try to drop

MariaDB> ALTER table matomo_log_hsr_event drop index [INDEX NAME];

and recreate that index. But, depending of table size, this could take some time:

MariaDB> ALTER table matomo_log_hsr_event add [INDEX DATA AND ATTRIBUTES];

I have upgraded mariadb to 10.5.8 to see if this fixed the issues, but it doesn’t.
It doesn’t say which index is corrupted:

MariaDB [matomo]> ALTER TABLE matomo.matomo_log_hsr_event ENGINE=innodb;
ERROR 1034 (HY000): Index for table 'matomo_log_hsr_event' is corrupt; try to repair it
MariaDB [matomo]> check table matomo_log_hsr_event; 
+-----------------------------+-------+----------+----------+
| Table                       | Op    | Msg_type | Msg_text |
| matomo.matomo_log_hsr_event | check | status   | OK       |
1 row in set (19.226 sec)

MariaDB [matomo]> check table matomo_log_hsr_event extended;
| Table                       | Op    | Msg_type | Msg_text |
| matomo.matomo_log_hsr_event | check | status   | OK       |
1 row in set (19.002 sec)

I can list the indexes but nothing else:

+----------------------+------------+-----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+---------------+
| Table                | Non_unique | Key_name  | Seq_in_index | Column_name | Collation | Cardinality | Sub_part | Packed | Null | Index_type | Comment | Index_comment |
+----------------------+------------+-----------+--------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+----------+--------+------+------------+---------+---------------+
| matomo_log_hsr_event |          0 | PRIMARY   |            1 | idhsrevent  | A         |     8675484 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |               |
| matomo_log_hsr_event |          1 | idloghsr  |            1 | idloghsr    | A         |       27281 |     NULL | NULL   |      | BTREE      |         |               |
| matomo_log_hsr_event |          1 | idhsrblob |            1 | idhsrblob   | A         |      192788 |     NULL | NULL   | YES  | BTREE      |         |               |

I dont mind to recreate all the indexes, but I don’t have the DDLs

A little update @peterbo

I have finally found which index is producing the problems, its the idhsrblob, for some reason when I delete it, I can change the encoding of the table, but if I recreate it with create index and then try to change the encoding it fails with corruption again…

Can it be some value of this field?

Any thoughs about what could I do to fix this?

ty in advance guys

Good question - is there anything more verbose in the error-log? Apart from that, make sure that ROW_FORMAT is dynamic (I don’t think that this is the reason, but at the moment, I don’t really have a better idea).

The only message that appears is “[Warning] InnoDB: Retry attempts for writing partial data failed”

[EDIT]I have the feeling that the issue maybe related to the size of the tmp folder of mariadb, I gonna resize it for a higher value and see if can be this

Finally!

Problem solved, the issue was because my tmpfs temp folder created for mariadb only had 256mb, after raise its size to 512 it was able to end the operation.

2 Likes