Update installation without downtime?

Hello,

We have a relatively large Piwik installation (>30 Gbs of DB, last time I checked), so any major upgrade which involves modifications in the database takes a very long time (for example from 2.7 to 2.8)

Stopping access to the web interface is not a big deal, but 2 or 3 hours without statistics would be. Is there any procedure to perform updates without downtime? I thought about creating a pair of master-slave databases, but anyway we would need to ‘export’ the statistics taken during the upgrade to the newer version too, I don’t know if that would even be possible.

I guess this has been asked before, but I could not find any documentation about it

Thanks a lot

Hi there,

After Piwik was migrated to the latest version you can import from your server access logs, for the time window that Piwik was down. By replaying the server access logs with --replay-tracking you can recover the whole data. Learn more about: Log Analytics - Analytics Platform - Matomo (and see option --replay-tracking)

Hi Matt,

Sorry I forgot replay and say thank you before, that was very helpful.

Best regards

Good to know!

To capture this knowledge I’ve created a new FAQ How do I upgrade a large Piwik instance without losing any tracking data?

Hi again Matt,

Would this solution work with multiple sites and domains in the same Piwik installation? I was afraid the import logs script would track all the visits as if they were to the same idSite.

Thanks again

Hi there,

it should work fine for any / all websites. if you have any problem please open issue at: Issues · matomo-org/piwik · GitHub