Update from 0.1


(pauluskc) #1

Howdy!

We’ve been tasked with determining some bugs with our traffic tracking software, which happens to be piwik.

The unfortunate thing for us is that we are working with version 0.1. Yes, that is 0.1 and not 0.1.2 or anything much easier to work with.

So, since the oldest version I can really see is 0.2.3 or so, is there any help available for some sucker like me to figure out how to upgrade to 0.4.1 from my lowly 0.1.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hysterical laughter is also acceptable, but please, not in my face.

Thanks!

-Paul


(vipsoft) #2

If you have a lot of data, you may want to wait until we resolve an issue with big database updates timing out.

Otherwise…

Backup your database.
Extract the latest Piwik release into a new folder.
Look in core/Updates for the SQL to update your database manually.
Run the installer. Let it recreate your config.ini.php; choose “keep existing tables”.


(pauluskc) #3

Do I need to process each of the core/Updates files in order or can I just go with 0.4.1.php ?

Thanks!

[quote=vipsoft @ Jul 18 2009, 04:19 PM]If you have a lot of data, you may want to wait until we resolve an issue with big database updates timing out.

Otherwise…

Backup your database.
Extract the latest Piwik release into a new folder.
Look in core/Updates for the SQL to update your database manually.
Run the installer. Let it recreate your config.ini.php; choose “keep existing tables”.[/quote]


(vipsoft) #4

In sequential order. The updates are incremental deltas, not cumulative rollups.


(pauluskc) #5

figured as much. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif so far so good. luckily only 14 months of archives so it went quick on the database side of things.

now going to do the update of the files and such.

Before I started all this, I did make an exact copy of everything and I’m actually running off the duplicate copy before trying this on the live side.

will let you know how the next step goes.


(pauluskc) #6

things are good… did a couple tests with the old version of the software saving traffic to the new version’s db and with a little adjustment, worked great.

Just had to comment out the lines that set the config_java, config_color_depth, and config_quicktime in that one file (name escapes me) and disable the UserSettings plugin in the old version to make the reporting work.

Now have both versions able to record and report. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

Once all the tracked sites are converted to the new tags, then the old version is coming down. But it’s stable so far (cut it over yesterday).

Thanks for making this really painless.