Unknown IP

Hi how can I solve to show real country in “Visitors in real time” dashboard. I always fine some unknown provider IP on visitor panel.

We expect some ip addresses will fail the reverse DNS lookup either because there is no DNS entry or timeouts on the network.

The only “fix” is a whois on the netblock, and trying to parse the output, but that would be more costly (in terms of performance) than gethostbyaddr.

Yaeh,

as I use the GeoIP plugin now, so I canceled = 0 the

enable_language_to_country_guess = 0

What is done first ?
Or how will both options (GeoIP and language_guess) work together ?

that possible unknown IP’s can be fixed by browser language ?

With the current GeoIP plugin, the geolocation fields are separate (ie location_country vs geoip_location_country) and referenced using different widgets.

In the new plugin under development, there’s only one set of geolocation fields. The new algorithm is (roughly):

geolocate via ip
if fail then
guess using hostname’s tld
if fail then
guess via lang-to-country

Good news: GeoIP is now integrated in Piwik, enabling Accurate Visitors Geolocation in your Analytics reports. To enable GeoIP go to the Settings > Geolocation admin page, and follow the short instructions.

You can also get an even more accurate Country & City Database from here to enjoy top accuracy in detecting your visitors locations.

See also the documentation about Geolocation - Analytics Reports in Piwik.