Unable to Track Mp3 Downloads

hi,

I think I tried all possible ways so far and I cannot do it. I can track images etc fine, but not mp3s… how weird.

I cannot track link clicks on mp3 files neither direct links to an mp3. I am not using a special software for the mp3 downloads, they are just <a href="… links to files in a specific directory.

I tried to “Force a click on a link to be recorded as a download in Piwik” with no success. I tried the following classes:

<a class=‘piwik_download’ href=…
<a class=“piwik_download” href=…
<a class=“download” href=…

I also tried creating a goal with all possible settings and I cannot do it.

Is it something simple that I am not doing or do I really need to pass the downloads through some software with php code ? I used a software like this in the past and removed it for better… (supposed)…

any help on this appreciated,… would be damn excellent to track downloads.
cheers

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

On the same page as your mp3, other “downloads” like .exe .avi etc. work fine, but not mp3?

hi matt,… yes I can track when someone zooms an image on the page I will show you, but not when downloading an mp3

http://www.yorgospontsaris.com/activity/guest-mix-deep-house-music-deep-amsterdam-netherlands-dogglounge-minneapolis-usa/

same happens on any other page on this site that has mp3s (also tested mp3 plays)

I am able to track video plays using a code.

but no success with mp3 downloads or plays

(vipsoft) #4

This should work, but I see your page also uses Mootools, so perhaps there’s an interaction here that we’re not aware of.

Please try moving your Piwik tracking code out of the , and closer to the (but before Google Analytics)?

something even more weird…

just noticed a visit (maybe you) with linux from usa, entering the page I gave and indeed showed that clicked on the mp3, and the goal worked too.

So I tested further and I found out that I can only see the mp3 download clicks and mp3 goal when using Firefox or IE, and not when using Google Chrome, Opera or Safari.

any idea of this ?

thanks Anthon, let me try this

ok I moved the piwik code right before the and removed the google analytics code to test.

Still same results.

I can track mp3 downloads with FF and IE, but not with Google Chrome, Opera and Safari. :slight_smile:

(vipsoft) #8

The problem with Chrome and Safari is a webkit bug. The “fix” is to add a target=’_blank’ attribute.

thanks so much Anthon again, I will try this and get back to ya

yes target="_blank" made tracking from those browsers possible now. thanks for this tip !

I suppose hitting the mp3 url directly will never give stats unless using a download software on the site right ?

Just a little more help from u please with regular expressions. I wanna have 2 different goals for “mp3” and “avi” downloads. I tried these expressions but I think I write them wrong…

goal Mp3 Downloads:
_music/download/..mp3

goal Video Downloads:
_music/download/..avi

…meaning:
dir/dir/any_filename.mp3

thanks !

found it… I was missing the * after the dot :slight_smile:
thanks for your great help guys
this topic is fully SOLVED I guess

(vipsoft) #12

yes, in a regular expression,