Tracking User's Path

Will there ever be support for tracking a user’s path through a website? For example:

50 Customers visit the “Shopping Cart” page. Only 30 proceed to the “Checkout” page, and only 10 finish their order and get to the “Order Receipt” page. What would be nice is if we could track this path, showing the number of conversions as a line graph overlaid on top of one another (this would be a really good way to use the flash graph API you guys use, instead of just having the one blue line, you could graph multiple points using multiple colors, one line for each “page”). I know there are “Goals” and “Campaigns”, but I’m looking for more of a “Goal Path”, where it tracks when the user visits page A, followed by page B, etc.

I don’t know if it’ll be supported. (Are you volunteering to develop it or sponsor the development?) This has been previously requested. And we already have many feature requests queued up.

No, I unfortunately do not have the time to work on something as major as this, and, looking at some of the Piwik code, I’m not sure I would understand it very well… I know PHP, but not the OOP parts of it, and you guys seem to use classes very heavily, so I don’t think that would work out.

You guys should implement a feature suggestion site so that Piwik users can vote on the features they want the most, so you know which ones you should finish first. I’ll start a new thread for that, since it’s a separate idea.

extremely interested in such a feature as well.
Until now I was using a tiny plugin for my wordpress blogs available here h**p://082net.com/tag/wp-slimstat-ex/?orderby=modified that offers any feature I can possibly dream of, all on a local wordpress installation except it doesn’t have nice graphs.
its got visitor paths, drill downs, etc.
maybe have a look at its features for some inspiration :slight_smile:

Check the funnel analysis plugin in development: http://dev.piwik.org/trac/ticket/220

full ack - mouse tracking would be great

we have just released a new feature, “Page Transitions” which shows the path of a visitor from a given page, and where visitors click from there. It’s pretty awesome! Check it out: Clickpath analytics

[quote=SpikeX]
Will there ever be support for tracking a user’s path through a website? For example:

50 Customers visit the “Shopping Cart” page. Only 30 proceed to the “Checkout” page, and only 10 finish their order and get to the “Order Receipt” page. What would be nice is if we could track this path, showing the number of conversions as a line graph overlaid on top of one another (this would be a really good way to use the flash graph API you guys use, instead of just having the one blue line, you could graph multiple points using multiple colors, one line for each “page”). I know there are “Goals” and “Campaigns”, but I’m looking for more of a “Goal Path”, where it tracks when the user visits page A, followed by page B, etc.[/quote]

The same situation as mine…

oil painting

We need YOUR help! We are running a crowd funding campaign to raise funds to implement the detailed Visitors Maps of Countries, Regions and Cities (for all countries)!

These maps will be beautiful, usable, and built using open standards SVG+JS. They will show detailed visitor count, conversion rates, by Country but also (New!) by city and region.

Pledge now at: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/analytics-maps-world-country-city-region/

There will be no more flash in Piwik and we will add amazing new Maps of your visitors.

Piwik needs you!

Hello,

The premium Funnels plugin provides really powerful Conversion Funnels analytics directly in Piwik. Learn more & get the plugin in the Funnel Marketplace page. Check the Funnels User Guide and Funnels FAQ for more information. Looking forward to hearing your feedback!

Good news: we’re working on Heatmap Analytics for Piwik + scrollmap + click map! It will be awesome and make sure to hear when it’s released by signing up here: http://www.heatmap-analytics.com/

We've just released Heatmap + Session Recording for Piwik Analytics!

More info:

• Heatmaps show you where on a page your visitors click, move the mouse and how far down they scroll so you can discover which content your visitors actually pay attention to, where your content is confusing, and whether your content is engaging. Based on this information you can improve your content and page structure and ultimately increase your conversions.
  • Session Recordings lets you record all clicks, mouse movements, scrolls and form interactions of a visitor so you can replay them in a video. See exactly what your visitors did on your website to truly understand them. Find out where they have problems or get confused to improve usability and conversions.

Comes with 100% data ownership, full control over your data, and no limitations.

Learn more

We wanted the Browsing Path captured to a Dimension so we could tally those with the same paths. We implemented a solution for GTM and Ga and instead send the data to Matomo in a GTM HTML tag.

This is demonstrated here for GA.
https://gtm.tips/track-browsing-paths-gtm-ga-quick-dirty-solution/

We then place the following in an HTML tag that fires AFTER the Matomo JS tag.

_paq.push([‘trackEvent’, ‘Browsing Paths’, ‘{{Path Cookie}}’, ‘{{Click URL}}’]);
_paq_push([‘setCustomDimension’,2,’{{Path Cookie}}’]);