Tracking Events/Actions per Custom Variable value

Hello,

Our site serves users from a large number of organizations and we have custom variable scoped for Visit that stores each user’s organization.
Each file on the site has a unique link to the resource in our S3 instance.

We want to be able to generate aggregate reports, showing how many downloads each organization is responsible for in a given month. So far I’ve tried using a Goal set to trigger when a file is downloaded that matches the download link’s domain. When I check Goal Conversions, I see entries under Custom Variables for each user organization but number of conversions does not seem to be tracked.

I also have tried setting this custom variable with scope Page and I see in the Visitor Log that each download is tagged with its value. But there is no report counting all of these available.

Should I be using a custom event for download link clicks instead? Would that allow breakdown by user organization?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi there,

Should I be using a custom event for download link clicks instead? Would that allow breakdown by user organization?

+1 i believe the easiest for you would be to use Event Tracking to track those downloads. See: http://piwik.org/docs/event-tracking/