Track visits with url parameter on home page

Hello,

i’m not sure about informations i found in the documentation.
I have a website with matomo on it, everything is fine.
But now we would like to track visitors came on our homepage with specific url parameter. For example people can arrived on:
https://example.com/
or on
https://example.com/MYPARAMETER

Then, if second people visit the rest of the website, the parameter disappear from url, there is only a session variable that allows me to know the pages visited.

But on matomo i can’t see the route of the pages visited by people who arrived via the url parameter.

Do you think it’s possible with matomo ?
Do i need to put tu parameter in each URL visited ?
Can i bind my session’s variable to matomo ?

Thanks for your answers.

Hello Alex, the problem sounds not simple. questions:

In the most cases (modern) CMS websites have different URLs for different pages. The URL is used to detect which content is to be delivered over the virtual folder name.
example.com = Startpage
example.com/about = About us page
example.com/imp = Imprint

Default, matomo track about and imp and displayed it in the statistiks. The startpage is displayed as /index. In the statistik “Page Title”, not this virtual folder name is displayed, but the HTML <title>.

Question: How is your website structured?

When you have a example.com/MYPARAMETER, the MYPARAMETER is displayed in matomo. Is it the same in your matomo?

Another idea: You will track users special, that comes in over the example.com/MYPARAMETER?
Special tracking of this user is possible with visitor id / user id.

Display the stats over this user is possible with segmentation.
Create a segment:
Click the button “All visits” above.
Click the green button “Add new segment”.
Select
“Behavior” → Entry Page URL.
Is
example.com/MYPARAMETER
Click “TEST” or “Save & APPLY”.
By “Save & APPLY” you see in the dashboard only the visits from this users. You can change it to “Visit all” over the same named button.

1 Like

Thank for you answer.

I don’t use CMS, the website use Laravel. I manage routes (url). I can almost make what i want.

For the segmentation, i have to pass an ID in the url ? Like example.com/MYPARAMETER?generate_an_id

Thans for your answer.

Is your question solved?

It depends on if you want just to separate visitors arriving on page example.com/MYPARAMETER from another users, or if you want to separate MYPARAMETER?1 from MYPARAMETER?2

(Note: your usage of parameters is a little bit strange, i suggest you use query string)