Tag manager code and regular tracking code

Hi, I am new to matomo and I have a question regarding Matomo tag manager and tracking code. Is it enough to use only the tag manager code for tracking.Will it track the visitors accurately.What will happen if we use both tag manager and tracking code in our site.In our website, We are using only the tag manager code and there is a huge variation with the GA value and matomo value. Is there any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

Hi Suba,

welcome to Matomo.
What about your questions:
Is it enough to use only the tag manager code for tracking. No, you also need a Tag “Matomo Analytics”.
Will it track the visitors accurately. Yes
What will happen if we use both tag manager and tracking code in our site: if there is a tag “Matomo Analytics” in the tag manager and you have placed the Matomo tracking code, all visits and actions will be registrated twice.
Difference between GA and Matomo value. See Why do Matomo data reports differ from Google Analytics and other analytics tools? FAQ - Analytics Platform - Matomo and Piwik tracks far fewer visits than other web analytics tools, but tracks the same number of pageviews. FAQ - Analytics Platform - Matomo

I hope this will help.

Hi Peter, Thanks for your time.

Is it enough to use only the tag manager code for tracking. No, you also need a Tag “Matomo Analytics”.

In the above phrase, What does you need a tag “Matomo Analytics” means? Thanks in advance
`

`

Hi,

I mean you will need to have the Matomo analytics variable within the tag.
When you create a website, there will be automtically created a container with this variable to measure the website.

I hope this explains it.

Regards,
Peter