Tag Manager: Bounce Rate to low

Hello,
since the change to the tag manager the jump rate has gone down a lot. We’ve checked the numbers on the transitions, the bounce rate is really too low: 658 page views, 614 direct from Facebook and 598 exits - and Matomo shows a bounce rate of 19%…
I then analyzed the segmented visitor log: is it possible that Matomo evaluates visitor actions on the page (we measure an additional 3 scroll points) as another page visit?
Thank you in advance for your efforts!
Many greetings,
Helge

Hi there,
Could you please post a screenshot showing the issues with your data? Or feel free to send the screenshots to hello att matomo.org

HI Matthieu, thanks! I just send the screenshot via email. Best Regards, Helge

HI,
unfortunately we still have the problem with the bounce rate: it looks like matomo is not only counting the page views to the bounce rate, but also the events of the tag manager. As soon as someone has triggered another event on the page (e.g. scrolling) Matomo seems to count this as another new page call. Since we switched from Matomo “pure” to the tag manager, our bounce rate has dropped from 38% to 3% - Would be cool if it really was - unfortunately it isn’t… :wink: )
Do I have to configure the difference between pageview and event somewhere else?
Best Regards,
Helge

Matomo would count a new page view or event when only if you have configured your matomo tag to be triggered then. Can you check that you haven’t set up your tag to be triggered on page scrolls?

Thanks for your answer. I checked it:
Tracking type is pageview and there is only one trigger type pageview assignd. All the other tags and triggers are not of the type pageview.

@helgeb would you mind exporting your container and sending it to us at hello at matomo.org for review? we’ll try to reproduce the issue…

HI Matthieu, thanks a lot. I just send the export via mail. Best Regards, Helge

Hi Matthieu, now another try to describe our problem: :wink:
I use a segment visit per duration 1-10s and there are lots of visitors who were able to visit more than 1 page:

When I check the visitors log for the visitors who visitet 3 PAGES it looks like this:

So it realy looks like Matomo is counting the actions from the tagmanager als page visitis.
How can I change this? Or is it a bug?
Thanks for your attention.
Best Regards,
Helge

HI there!
Any news on this topic?
Today I tested it again: Deleted all Tags and Triggers and created 2 new one: One for pageview one for event. Same problem…
Best Regards,
Helge

Hello Im having the same problem with Tag Manager

did you guys found any way to resolve the problem ?

Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

HI,
new life in this topic? The problem is still not solved for us either. We would also be very interested in a solution.
Thank you in advance!

The event is counting as an action, so visitors that trigger a pageview and an event are not counted anymore to be bouncers. Or did I misunderstand your problem?

You created “Seitenaufruf” and “Scrolling” as Events in addition to the PageView. Is this really what you wanted to achieve?

I created the page-view-event to make it easier to calculate the percentages in statistics with events. However, the problem with the bounce rate already existed before.
If someone scrolls or does something else on a page that is logged as an event, this visit is already no longer bounced, even if he does not visit another page. I would have expected the visit to be bounced anyway, since only one page was viewed (counted via pageview and nothing events).

im currently having the same issue when tag manager track any other event other than a pageview even if its a “Bounce” it tracks it as not

is there any solution or should we implement a new way to calculate the bounce rate ?

i really appreciate your help thank you

This is intentional - bounce rate should be an indicator for a non-interaction visit. If a user scrolls and shows engagement, the user is not counted into the bounce bucket. This might not be ideal for some use-cases and might get changed to “engagement rate” in the future, but for now, it is like this.