SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<'

Hello,

I’m new to Matomo so this may be an easy fix that I have just overlooked. Initially I installed Matomo on a Ubuntu hyper-v on my local laptop and everything installed fine. I setup the website tracking, copied the javascript to the site I wanted to track and things worked as expected. Next I installed Matomo on a Windows server running IIS. Since there are other sites on this server I set it up on a different port. I setup the site I wanted to track (which is the same site I was tracking earlier) and now when I load the site in Firefox and Chrome I get an error: SyntaxError: expected expression, got ‘<’ and nothing is tracked. Is there a setting or something else that I need to check in order to get this to work?

Thanks,
Joseph

Hi,

The error message means that you copied the tracking code somewhere where it isn’t valid.

Most likely you copied the <script> inside an existing <script>.

E.g. like this

<script>

// some existing JavaScript

<!-- Matomo -->
<script type="text/javascript">
  var _paq = window._paq || [];
  _paq.push(['trackPageView']);
  _paq.push(['enableLinkTracking']);
  (function() {
    var u="//{$PIWIK_URL}/";
    _paq.push(['setTrackerUrl', u+'piwik.php']);
    _paq.push(['setSiteId', {$IDSITE}]);
    var d=document, g=d.createElement('script'), s=d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
    g.type='text/javascript'; g.async=true; g.defer=true; g.src=u+'piwik.js'; s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s);
  })();
</script>
<!-- End Matomo Code -->

</script>

which is invalid HTML.

So make sure your tracking code is valid.