Strange URL (perhaps proxy?)

Hi,

we have a single visitor, that came very often to our website the last 2 days. Strange is the URL he called, it is a local IP-Address: 192.168.2.104 but we don’t have an IP like this in our network.

So the question is, how Piwik logs activity over a proxy.

My suggestion is, the visitor has a local proxy with IP 192.168.2.104 and goes to internet over this proxy.

Does Piwik log as URL the IP-Address of the local proxy or the correct URL of our website?

Thanks in advance

We also get these internal ip addresses (192.168 & 10.2) in our visitor logs and in the list of external sites

Often, this is the ‘monitoring’ server that calls the web server with an internal IP.

It’s definitely not our monitoring server. A I said, the IP is not existing in our network and a monitoring server wouldn’t keep on about one or two hours on our website. Besides all local addresses are ignored by Piwik.

My suggestion is: the visitor has a local proxy with a cache. This proxy returns pages from its cache to the user and so the strange IP gets to Piwik. If this cannot be the case, please tell me, because then, we have to look who has an copy of our website and uses our Piwik Tracker…

Are you running 1.0 or ealier? these older versions would record the client’s address when using a proxy.

In 1.1, the proxy headers are configureable, and are unset, by default. These should only be configured if you use a proxy server in your network.

matthieu
Whether Piwik tracker is checking for the domain URL match for the Account before update the database ?? . If not it will be good if we do that. So we will not get this kind of problem’s

What you think ?

Elam

We’re running 1.1.1, the newest available version and it’s exactly one visitor or at least visitors from the same IP-address, that have this strange URL and he don’t have it always. It looks like he goes to a new site, he wasn’t before and URL contains our domain, short time later, he calls the same URL, but now with a local address. Thats because I thought of a proxy with cache.

The point with checking the URL would surely fix this, but knowing that this can be related to a proxy-cache-issue would also be enough for me.