SMTP Oauth2.0 Support

Hello,

I would like to use Exchange Online in Matomo to send E-Mail.
SMTP Auth with Basic authentication is deprecated from Microsoft and cannot be used anymore in some tenants.
Are there plans to support SMTP Oauth2.0 in Matomo?

best regards

Joerg

Hi,

Matomo 3 uses an ancient library to send E-Mails and the SMTP support is quite weird.

Matomo 4 (which will be released very soon) uses PHPMailer instead, so everything PHPMailer can do, you can do with Matomo (it might mean you that need to write a Matomo plugin that adds the bit of additional code needed to set up Oauth with PHPMailer).

Hi,
thank your for the information.
Thats good to hear that there is a change coming soon.
However I did some more research and found a post from the Microsoft Exchange Team that I am no sure how to interpret:

Today, we’re excited to announce the availability of OAuth 2.0 authentication for IMAP and SMTP AUTH protocols to Exchange Online mailboxes. This feature announcement is for interactive applications to enable OAuth for IMAP and SMTP. At this time, there are no plans to enable IMAP and SMTP OAuth for non-interactive applications using client credentials flow. For that, we suggest to use our Graph API.

Would Matomo be considered as an “interactive application”?
Otherwise Matomo would need to use the Microsoft Graph API to send email instead of SMTP Oauth2?