SiteSearch for multiple category / criteria searches possible?

We are trying to track usage of a library search application with Piwik. In the search interface users are able to combine multiple criteria in one search.
E.g. title = history AND author = Miller AND year = 1980 => 2234 hits

At the moment the only way I found to send this to Piwik is by issuing 3 Searches like

piwikTracker.trackSiteSearch('history', 'title', 2234);
piwikTracker.trackSiteSearch('Miller', 'author', 2234);
piwikTracker.trackSiteSearch('1980', 'year', 2234);

Is there a way to submit this information correctly as one single Search resulting in 2234 hits? (We can skip analysing the boolean operators)

Hi I am a little unclear which search interface? can you do a screen grab of the search interface?

Not sure what you are really asking for, can you elaborate?

Hi,

you can have a look at the search interface here:
http://opac-plus-volltext.bsb-muenchen.de/metaopac/start.do?View=dig&Language=en&SearchType=2
Of course the query example and the number of hits were devised.

[quote=matt]
Not sure what you are really asking for, can you elaborate?[/quote]

Hi Matt,

my goal is to track a complex query like
"title = history AND author = Miller AND year = 1980 => 2234 hits"
in Piwik as a single search request. The current problem for me is that

piwikTracker.trackSiteSearch(query, category, numHits);

allows only one single query in one category, but I need to record a query of three or more criteria. There is also the possibility to refine the query later using facets on the hitlist page, so a user could easily set many more criteria than that.

One can in the results of a reportlet use regex symbols to filter(perform AND OR) groups of results. I am still unsure if that is where you are performing the queries or via a api request.

It sounds like you need some new feature, if you cannot simply use site search as it comes. please contact: http://piwik.org/consulting/#contact-consultant for pro help

[quote=lesjokolat]
One can in the results of a reportlet use regex symbols to filter(perform AND OR) groups of results. I am still unsure if that is where you are performing the queries or via a api request.[/quote]

Thanks for your hint, I will have a look at the reportlets. Perhaps it is possible to submit the whole complex query as a single request and analyze it in Piwik instead of trying to do that in JavaScript.

I am currently embedding JavaScript into the results page. As described in the [documentation (Site Search Tracking and Reporting - Analytics Platform - Matomo]documentation)](Site Search Tracking and Reporting - Analytics Platform - Matomo), section “Track Site Search using the Javascript trackSiteSearch() function”. It would not be a problem to use “Track Site Search using the Tracking API”, but the documentation leaves me unclear whether that allows multiple criteria.

Hi,

Did you found an answer or a way to track multiple criteria searches ?

I think i have the same issue.

I have a backoffice which provide search over multiple criteria to users. In fact they can search travels providing min or max departure date, the country, the city and some other criteria.

I’m searching a way to track the number of times the search function is used and the number of criteria used per search, plus a percent of usage per criteria.

So i have the same problem as akbsb, i don’t want to track one search per criteria because it will corrupt my total number of search.

Is there any way to do that efficiently ? Or is it really NOT a piwik feature ?

Thank you for any feedback or hint :slight_smile:

Hi,

For now we unfortunately have no solution for that in Piwik. Currently we store our application’s internal query representation containing the fields as query string in the database. The plan is to analyze this by a custom plugin - but this does not exist at the moment and we are not developing one currently.

Hi,

I would like to ask there is maybe any new solution for this issue in Matomo from 2013?
Any default solution or premium modules?

1 Like