Server move - not working as advertised

Hi,

I am currently moving to a new server, and trying to follow the instructions here: How can I move Piwik from one server to another, also migrating the data from one mysql server to another? - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Ironically, in the installation process Piwik complains that “Some tables in your database have the same names as the tables Piwik is trying to create”.

Go figure. :wink: Only options are to “Go back and define a Prefix for the Piwik Tables” or to “Delete the detected tables”. Obviously I want neither. Any help?

I have version 2.7.0 (on both machines). Thanks!

If you copy the file “/config/config.ini.php” from the old server to the new, after making whatever changes are necessary to tell Piwik that it’s running on a different server, Piwik won’t try to do a “new” install. It should just pick up the relocated database, and start to work normally.

In other words, manually edit the configuration file (it’s just a text file) and then launch Piwik in its new location. (Assuming, of course, that you previously moved the database and all its tables.)

Thanks for the reply. When I put the config file in place, I am sent to the login screen immediately - no install required. Is this as designed?

The instructions here are very different, hence the question: How can I move Piwik from one server to another, also migrating the data from one mysql server to another? - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Yes, that’s how it’s supposed to work. I wouldn’t expect anything else.