Security tab problems

Hi everybody,

I’m running Piwik 1.7.1 on IIS7.
When I click on Settings/Security, I see some strange behaviour:

*Piwik Unable to determine the latest version of Piwik available.
Why does this happen? I have all PHP functions enabled, and I can’t get automatic updates for the software, as it can’t check current version.

*display_errors display_errors is enabled. This is not recommended on “production” servers, as it could reveal sensitive information. You should consider disabling this feature
display_errors is disabled on php.ini. I’ve restarted IIS several times, and still shows “enabled”.

*The security page stops loading at the second Suhosin item. I can see:
-Suhosin extension You are not running PHP with the Suhosin extension loaded. We recommend both the patch and extension for low- and high-level protections including transparent cookie encryption and remote inclusion vulnerabilities.
-Suhosin patch You are not running PHP with the Suhosin patch applied. We recommend both the patch and extension for low- and high-level protections against (for example) buffer overflows and format string vulnerabilities.

But no further. When checking page code, I can see it’s abruptly terminated.

*On general settings, I can’t set up SMTP server. No matter what values I write, they never get saved, but I get the message “Your changes have been saved.”.

Any ideas? Waht can I check? Any additional info that could help?

Thanks!

*Piwik Unable to determine the latest version of Piwik available.

Maybe your firewall blocks requests to piwik.org ? piwik calls api.piwik.org to get the latest version

*On general settings, I can’t set up SMTP server. No matter what values I write, they never get saved, but I get the message “Your changes have been saved.”.
check that the config/config.ini.php is writable?

Hi Matt, thanks for your answer.

I’ve changed permissions on config.ini.php to be fully controlled by “everyone”, and still nothing changes.

And the firewall on the server is not blocking access to piwik.org. The software is almost always able to contact and check for PHP version, that’s weird.

Anything else for me to double check that comes to your mind? Isn’t thare any script that could run some automatic test to know what can be wrong?

Best regards.

I have same error "Piwik Unable to determine the latest version of Piwik available. "

Hi satish,

I didn’t work this out yet.
Are you running on Windows aswell?

@Are - I am running piwik on Linux and somehow it works! now… I don’t know how but i guess it was permission issue…

Yeah, I think it’s something about permission, too. I’ll check it again.
Good for you it’s working now :slight_smile: