Script for Multiple Sites w/out Linking to Piwik Host Site

So, I manage a large number of sites, both ones that I own and ones owned by clients. Occasionally, for competitive reasons I’d rather the sites not be linked in any way. However, if I run a single installation of Piwik on RedWidgets.com and use the script on BlueWidgets.com, there’s a footprint on BlueWidgets.com that let’s anyone viewing the page source know analytics are being sent to RedWidgets.com, therefore linking the site. I believe it’s even shown up as a backlink in some of the research I’ve done in the past.

The current solution is that I have to create a fresh piwik install for each one of these sites. It’s not the end of the world, but it takes a minute for me to get going and then every time I check stats, I have to check 5 different piwik dashboards…

Is there a way to run a “satellite” script where BlueWidgets.com can have a script that links/updates to another file on BlueWidgets.com, which in turn sends the data to RedWidgets.com? I’m not a programmer, just a designer, so I’m not sure how implementation would work or what this feature would be called, but I’d love to see it!

You could create subdomains piwik.example.org in each of your domain, and have a transparent DNS alias to your unique piwik.php install.

(I haven’t personally tried it but have seen users doing it successfully)

if you can come up with good explanation, I’d like to add this to the FAQ, please share style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif