S....L....O....W loading

Oh my goodness - it’s gotten worse than working with an old XT computer on a dial up connection! Yes, I have quite a lot of sites in my account (well, at least compared to most I’m guessing). Perhaps 70-75 entries.

When I open up Matomo (and it happens during a refresh too) it will take at least 2 minutes to display the info. Then, annoyingly often, I get…

“Oops… there was a problem during the request. Maybe the server had a temporary issue, or maybe you requested a report with too much data. Please try again. If this error occurs repeatedly please contact your Matomo administrator for assistance.” Refreshing sometimes works, otherwise I get:

An error occurred
Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away

Do another refresh and:

WARNING: /home/wwwckde/public_html/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php(105): Warning - Error while sending STMT_CLOSE packet. PID=48281 - Matomo 3.3.0 - Please report this message in the Matomo forums: https://forum.matomo.org (please do a search first as it might have been reported already)
WARNING: /home/wwwckde/public_html/piwik/libs/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php(105): Warning - Error while sending STMT_CLOSE packet. PID=47554 - Matomo 3.3.0 - Please report this message in the Matomo forums: https://forum.matomo.org (please do a search first as it might have been reported already)

(There’s a 3rd one but I can only add 2 links)

As I write, it’s “Loading websites…” We’ll see.

I’m on a fast connection (a speed test shows 160Mbps) so it’s not my connection. Frustrated as, when it loads, it’s a great service and is lightyears ahead of Google Analytics. I just need it to work.

Hi,

Did you check if your database is working correctly.

MySQL server has gone away can be because PHP needed to wait for a long time for the MySQL server(How do I fix the error "Mysql Server has gone away"? - Analytics Platform - Matomo)

Warning - Error while sending STMT_CLOSE packet. PID=47554 also happens when PHP wan’t to connect to MySQL.

Thanks Lucas - never thought it being MY SQL!! :slight_smile:

I checked and my settings are:

| max_allowed_packet | 268435456 |
| wait_timeout | 120 |

perhaps is this a solution: Pen-Ultima: Piwik Oops… there was a problem during the request

This helps in many cases, but when it takes a long time and then times out with an “Oops”, increasing the memory won’t help, because more memory doesn’t make anything faster.

Still experiencing worse than snail like performance. Tried changing the account Matomo is on to PHP7. Made no difference to speed.

I only have about 80 sites being tracked, none with huge amounts of traffic (highest is 3000 unique IPs per month - most around 2-300). I really like it, but I just can’t spare the time waiting 5-6 minutes for it to render the stats every time I log in. I can’t even update it now - just times out every time.

Did you disable archiving on page load? If not, please do so and try again.

Not archiving, but I did set old reports to delete after 180 days. However, an interesting thing happening when I started Matomo this morning. The speed has gone way up and I was able to update it. I can only assume it was due to the upgrade to PHP7, though why it did not work immediately yesterday when I upgraded I cannot say. I’ve heard that PHP7 is much faster, but have not done the upgrade to any live sites yet as I need to investigate what extensions will or won’t run under it. So, things are running much more smoothly this morning, and I can only recommend everyone fo the PHP7 upgrade where possible.