Reuse Old GeoIP Plugin Data in 1.9

It would be nice if those who have been using the pre-1.9 GeoIP plugin could transfer location data for old visits into the new 1.9 structure. Is that possible? This would avoid having to run the new, lengthy script, and it would also avoid the issue of historical data being inaccurate when resolved at this point in time, due to historical GeoIP database changes.

This is possible out of the box, please have a look at: How to - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Peter, I am not sure if I understood you correctly. Are you saying that, out of the box, 1.9 will import the location information (country, city) from the data already resolved by the previous GeoIP plug-in, without having to re-resolve all of the IP addresses anew? My understanding, perhaps incorrect, was that the new functionality would run a possibly lengthy new resolution of location information based on the IPs, ignoring the already resolved information, that has been collected using the older plug in. I’d be grateful if you could let me know which way will it happen. Many thanks.

Hi Rafal,
it’s not possible to use the “old GeoIP plugin” geoip data for the new schema change.
What we recommend is:

Thank you, Matt. Do I take it, then, that there is no point in trying to do a SQL-based, manual UPDATE using the data that already exists for City and Country info? I am concerned that if the data is re-resolved at this stage it will no longer be accurate, as IP regions change. Also, I am not sure if it is going to work, as we anonymise the addresses.

We need YOUR help! We are running a crowd funding campaign to raise funds to implement the detailed Visitors Maps of Countries, Regions and Cities (for all countries)!

These maps will be beautiful, usable, and built using open standards SVG+JS. They will show detailed visitor count, conversion rates, by Country but also (New!) by city and region.

Pledge now at: http://crowdfunding.piwik.org/analytics-maps-world-country-city-region/

There will be no more flash in Piwik and we will add amazing new Maps of your visitors.

Piwik needs you!