Returning Visits Missing

Are returning visits affected by the delete log feature? We are deleting logs older than 3 months, and I’ve noticed that our sites don’t have data for “Returning visits” (Visitors --> Engagement) after 3 months. The FAQ says that the Unique Visitors metric won’t be available if logs are being deleted, but it says nothing about Returning Visits.

Further, even though Returning Visits is missing for > 3 months, Unique Visitors still has data. Can anyone clarify the returning visits metric and why it might be missing in reports > 3months?

You are experiencing I believe this bug: VisitFrequency API: read pre 2.0 data · Issue #4878 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

I will fix it soon

That looks to be the issue! I just tested by viewing Visitors --> Engagement for several sites. Returning Visits data is displayed for dates Dec 17 or sooner. Beginning Dec 16 and going back in time, everything is Zero.

Can you please try the latest code from GIT? (download ZIP button) GitHub - matomo-org/matomo: Liberating Web Analytics. Star us on Github? +1. Matomo is the leading open alternative to Google Analytics that gives you full control over your data. Matomo lets you easily collect data from websites, apps & the IoT and visualise this data and extract insights. Privacy is built-in. We love Pull Requests!

and let us know if it works or not? we tried to fix the bug but i would really appreciate your confirmation that it really works :slight_smile:

matt, I believe this fix is working, but let me show you some results of my testing to make sure you agree.

I copied our production piwik server to compare Piwik 2.1.0 to piwik-master. Same site, same time periods.

For 12/18 and every day after, both installations show the same data for returning visits. Good.

But for 12/17, the left (2.1.0) shows 28 returning visits, while the right (master) shows 157 returning visits:

[attachment 1680 ScreenShot2014-04-02at1.28.36PM.png][attachment 1681 ScreenShot2014-04-02at1.28.55PM.png]

Of course, all days before 12/17 are missing data in Piwik 2.1.0 (bug), and piwik-master is showing this data (fixed).

What explains the discrepancy on 12/17?