Removing bots from visitor logs

Hi, I am new to Piwik. Is there some way to remove bots from visitor logs? Can I, for instance, remove all visits under 3 seconds long?

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

By default Piwik ignores the bots. which bots are tracked in your piwik? see Does Piwik track visitors without Javascript? Does Piwik track search engine bots or other spider / robots? - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Hi Matt and thanks for responding. I am not sure as I am not technical, but I see a lot of ‘visits’ that are just 2 seconds long, which suggests that these are not real visitors.

(Matthieu Aubry) #4

can you check that you’re using latest piwik version?

I definitely am using the latest version. I only loaded it a week or so ago.

Matt? You there? :0)

(Matthieu Aubry) #7

btw what makes you think they are bot? can you post screenshot showing the bots?

I am not sure how I identify bots. I just assumed that anything that lasts one or two seconds is a bot…

To be honest, piwik is not perfect when it comes to measuring time spent on website

I know because i tested it many times, and in 90% cases it says that user spent 2 seconds on website, when actually user spent 20 seconds or more…

That’s useful to know. Many thanks.

(Matthieu Aubry) #11

please comment in this feature request: Support Ping requests to report a better 'time on page' · Issue #2041 · matomo-org/matomo · GitHub

Thanks again.

(Matthieu Aubry) #13

Good news! Starting in Piwik 2.14.0 the new feature of tracking how long users stay on page (using a Heart beat timer “ping” request) has been released. You can enable it with

_paq.push(['enableHeartBeatTimer']);

By default, a ping request will be sent every 15 seconds. You can specify a custom ping delay (in seconds) by passing an argument, eg,

_paq.push(['enableHeartBeatTimer', 10]);

Learn more in the Tracking JavaScript guide: JavaScript Tracking Client: API Reference - Matomo Analytics (formerly Piwik Analytics) - Developer Docs - v3

Update today to enjoy this new feature (as well as many other improvements!)