Reload config.ini.php

This seems like it should be a FAQ, but I can’t find it anywhere in the documentation or with much Googling:

How do I restart / reload / refresh / piwik and clear the tmp cache after a change to config.ini.php?

I once found an answer buried in a discussion thread, but foolishly forgot to write it down and now I can’t find it.

In this particular case, I am trying to set a new “live_widget_refresh_after_seconds” value, but the default 5 seconds persists. I’ve tried everything short of rebooting the server, but the only way I’ve found to change the value is to manually code it in “/piwik/plugins/Live/templates/index.tpl”.

I’ve had this problem before with config.ini.php settings being ignored, so I’m not sure if I need to somehow Reload piwik or if its just a bug in Live.

[piwik 1.4, OS X Server 10.6.7, Apache/2.2.17, PHP 5.3.4]

You must make sure you put the setting below the right [category] in the config file. There shouldn’t be need to reload anything?

Eureka! That explains everything!

I infer from plugins/Live/Controller.php that it needs to be in the [General] category, which does indeed work.

THANKS!