Reinstallation fails after update when accessing database

Hi! I suddenly encountered “500 Internal Server Error” after trying to automatically update matomo (which was working fine before). I therefore manually uploaded it via ftp and removed the config.ini.php. Now, I want to connect the existing database during the installation process (which starts fine). When I get to the database credentials during matomo setup, I enter the correct database name and credentials. Pressing next leads to 500 Internal Server Error. I have also checked the PHP error log which states the following:

[30-Nov-2020 01:19:23] NOTICE: configuration file /opt/uberspace/etc/XYZ/php-fpm.conf test is successful

[30-Nov-2020 01:19:23] NOTICE: using inherited socket fd=3, “/run/php-fpm-blaup.sock”
[30-Nov-2020 01:19:23] NOTICE: fpm is running, pid 28542
[30-Nov-2020 01:19:23] NOTICE: ready to handle connections
[30-Nov-2020 01:19:23] NOTICE: systemd monitor interval set to 10000ms
[30-Nov-2020 01:22:21] WARNING: [pool www] child 30464 said into stderr: “[30-Nov-2020 00:22:21 UTC] Error in Matomo: There was a problem installing the plugin CustomDimensions: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1118 Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 8126. This includes storage overhead, check the manual. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs If you want to hide this message you must remove the following line under the [Plugins] entry in your ‘config/config.ini.php’ file to disable this plugin. Plugins[] = CustomDimensions If this plugin has already been installed, you must add the following line under the [PluginsInstalled] entry in your ‘config/config.ini.php’ file: PluginsInstalled[] = CustomDimensions”

I also tried to manually update the database using core:update. That leads to a very similar error message:
Error trying to execute the migration ‘ALTER TABLE matomo_log_visit ADD COLUMN visitor_seconds_since_first INT(11) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN visitor_seconds_since_order INT(11) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN visitor_seconds_since_last INT(11) UNSIGNED NULL, ADD COLUMN profilable TINYINT(1) NULL;’.
The error was: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1118 Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 8126. This includes storage overhead, check the manual. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs

I am not sure if this Matomo error is directly related to the complete installation fail. Can someone help here?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

This was reported here and you can also find more information on how to solve it here: