Problems with Device detection

We are running Piwik 2.16.0 (long term support release). Also, we are using the log analytics method with Piwik, rather than embedded javascript on each page. We are seeing an unusually large number of “unknown devices” On each of our websites, Piwik reports daily, under device brand, that something like 80% (give or take a few percentage points) are unknown brands and under “device model”, we see something similar. I’m attaching a screenshot to show an example. We have the device detection plugin active. How can we eliminate the abnormally large number of “unknowns”?

Thanks.

Hi there,

You can help us improve the device detection algorithms! we have published our library to detect devices as open source and anyone can easily contribute. Please check out the project at: GitHub - matomo-org/device-detector: The Universal Device Detection library will parse any User Agent and detect the browser, operating system, device used (desktop, tablet, mobile, tv, cars, console, etc.), brand and model.

Thanks Matthieu. I’m a little unclear, is this code different from what ships with Piwik? So, this is some sort of add-on that I need to incorporate into Piwik?

Still unclear. I’ve taken a look at the link you’ve provided. It is unclear to me whether the library that you have published is already in the long term support release of Piwik? Or if this is something that I need to add in to my Piwik installation.

Thanks.

The library I linked is already in Piwik, see: Announcing our latest open source project: DeviceDetector - Analytics Platform - Matomo