Problem with /tmp/cache/tracker

hi

piwik is creating many 0-length files in /tmp/cache/tracker. after 20 minutes after installation there are 1182 in this folder. files are named tmp_(random string).
this isn’t normal, right? how to fix this?

No, not normal.

Have you changed permissions on the tmp/cache/tracker folder or its contents?

For some reason, Piwik is unable to rename the temp file to the target filename.

1. Check your php configuration for disable_functions. Is ‘rename’ in that list?
  2. Does the web server have permissions to overwrite or remove the .php files in that folder?

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. The function rename is allowed as well as the webserver owns the trackert directory so it is implicitly allowed to created / change etc. those files, as it created them on its own.

This is still the fact event after updating to 1.11.

Any other ideas?

umask

Was upgrading Piwik when I noticed that the tracker directory would not delete. It seems that Piwik created a whopping 100,000 zero length files in there.

This is getting scary.

It is because the webserver is not configured to rename temporary files. please ask your host

Looks like the situation is under control. I had to repossess the tracker directory (because the webserver created it, and I could not modify permissions or delete its contents). Then I deleted it and recreated it logged in via FTP. And that seems to have taken care of it.