Problem Configuring Matomo 4.1.0 on Windows Server 2016/IIS10

I’m in the priocess of installing Matomo 4.1.0 on a new server running Windows server 2016 and IIS 10.

The installation of Matomo, MySQL and PHP all went smoothly. I now have the following versions of these products running on the server:

Matomo 4.1.0
MySql 8.0.22 Community
PHP 7.4.13

I checked the config folder after installing all the components and I found these three files:

1. global.ini.php
  2. global.php
  3. manifest.inc.php

After checking the contents of the config folder, I accessed the site using Chrome and it brought me to the Welcome! screen with the 8-step configuration process. So far, so good. However, when I click 'Next; to start the process, I don’t receive any prompts to provide configuration information. Instead I receive either of these two errors:

1. Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in F:\Matomo\core\Filesystem.php on line 184 Matomo encountered an error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded (which lead to: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user ‘’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO))*

2. Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in F:\Matomo\libs\upgradephp\upgrade.php on line 260*
    Matomo encountered an error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded (which lead to: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user ‘’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO))

It looks like the config process is skipping past the mySQL configuration screen(s) and then tries to logon to MySQL using a blank user which – of course – fails.

I should note that after attempting to to run the Matomo configuration process a few times, i again checked the config folder. It still has the same three files. No config.ini.php file was created.

Any assistance with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeff

Hi,

Those are the two lines the errors refers to

Is there anything weird with your file system or setup in general? Does PHP have the right permissions to access the files?

is_link is a plain normal PHP function that just checks if a file is a symbolic link or not.

I unfortunately know nothing about Windows, so I can’t really help any further.

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for responding to my post – and supplying the code snippets.

Neither error seems to be directly related to accessing MySQL. So, I’m a little confused as to how to interpret this part of the error message:

…which lead to: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user ‘’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO))

From this message, it looks like it’s trying to access MySQL with a blank password. And, the password is probably blank because I was never prompted to provide any of the MySQL configuration information. Do, you think that the MySQL access problem might be a side-effect of the possible permissions/file system problem?

I’m about to get back to troubleshooting this problem using the additional information you’ve provided. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

-Jeff

Hi Lukas,

It turns out that I had to increase the execution timeout in the PHP configuration file in order to complete the Matomo configuration. I changed it from 30 and 240 seconds and the configuration completed successfully, Not sure why it was slow during the configuration process.

I’ve since set the execution timeout back to 30 seconds and things seem to be working just fine,

Thanks for your help,

-Jeff

1 Like