Piwiki vs Google

I did a quick search to see what others say about using both Piwiki and Google Analytics together. No doubt that two javascripts collecting data would cause load time issues, but I’m curious to know if the slow down was average or did you truly notice a big time difference? I already have a heavy load site (Graphics & Screencasts) so it would be nice to know which is actually lighter? Is it safe to assume they are both the same? I apologize if this information is out there, but I just did not find it.

Maybe some of you can offer your opinions as to your experience between the two.

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif Thanks in advance

I would recommend an actual test so you can see for yourself. Every site behaves differently.

Oh I was so hoping to hear what others had to say. Yes, I’m sure that is the best way to find out for sure, but like I said it would be nice to just get some feedback style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Yeah your exactly right. Depending on the different types of code in your site. Can influence the speed. Flash, javascript etc

I think that it doesn’t make a big difference on which analytics software you use. The most important thing is that you put the code at the bottom of a page this will ensure that the code only runs when the page is fully parsed by the browser the end user won’t have a clue that something is still running at the background.

And if it is possible flush the content regularly to the browser this will also improve the speed. Most of the load time is being consumed by HTTP requests that happen after the HTML is parsed if you send chunks of HTML to the browser it will start parsing and run some HTTP requests.

Very true. See Yahoo’s findings on this, too: http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html

Got the info from the same source and read the books “High Performance Websites” and “Even Faster Websites” if you are a serious web developer these books are very interesting to read.

I find google very helping to the last extent. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

[quote=GraphicJunky @ Aug 11 2009, 12:31 PM]I did a quick search to see what others say about using both Piwiki and Google Analytics together. No doubt that two javascripts collecting data would cause load time issues, but I’m curious to know if the slow down was average or did you truly notice a big time difference? I already have a heavy load site (Graphics & Screencasts) so it would be nice to know which is actually lighter? Is it safe to assume they are both the same? I apologize if this information is out there, but I just did not find it.

Maybe some of you can offer your opinions as to your experience between the two.

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif Thanks in advance[/quote]

The biggest difference is probably going to be perception. If you surf a site that uses GA, perhaps you’ve noticed the status bar occasionally indicates that it’s still connecting to GA…

By self-hosting, your site stats aren’t dependent on the load on the GA servers or the network lag associated with connecting to GA.

If Piwik is hosted on the same domain as the site being tracked, it saves the browser from an additional DNS lookup. And if the website being tracked is up, chances are so is Piwik (given that they may be running on the same web server).

[quote=vipsoft @ Aug 12 2009, 02:23 PM]The biggest difference is probably going to be perception. If you surf a site that uses GA, perhaps you’ve noticed the status bar occasionally indicates that it’s still connecting to GA…

By self-hosting, your site stats aren’t dependent on the load on the GA servers or the network lag associated with connecting to GA.

If Piwik is hosted on the same domain as the site being tracked, it saves the browser from an additional DNS lookup. And if the website being tracked is up, chances are so is Piwik (given that they may be running on the same web server).[/quote]

Thanks for clearing this up.