Piwik very slow tracking response (25+ seconds!)

I have started seeing this behaviour where it takes 20-30 seconds for piwik to return the tracking request. See attached screenshot.

Here is what I have found so far:

It happens only on initial pageload if the page has not been accessed for some time.
If you wait it out (20-30 seconds) and then reload the page, the response on the second pageload is instant.

There are no slow queries
I checked the mysql slow query log, nothing is output. (I put 5 seconds as the slow query threshold).

Has anyone seen something like this? How do you fix it??

Thanks.

(Matthieu Aubry) #2

That’s probably because the first time it will run the scheduled tasks. to prevent this slow laoding (which should happen only one request per hour at most) then setup the cron: How to Set up Auto-Archiving of Your Reports - Analytics Platform - Matomo

Thanks matt.

I have checked the logs that I collect from Piwik CRON and it has been running at 15 * * * * schedule correctly for months.
Can the CRON somehow lock the data tables? Because it does take 60-120 seconds to run the job each hour.

Also, is there any way I can explicitly disable jobs from running during a tracking request? Like a config flag?

Thanks again!

Hi again, any more ideas regarding this one? Thanks.

(Matthieu Aubry) #5

If you disable in the “Settings > general settings” and set Browser trigger archiving to FALSE then the Tracking API piwik.php requests will not trigger the scheduled tasks. Maybe this will help?

Thanks matt,

“Allow Piwik archiving to trigger when reports are viewed from the browser” was already set to “No” under Settings > General.

I tried changing "Reports for today (or any other Date Range including today) will be processed at most every "
from 10 to 1800 seconds. Could that help with this issue?

(Matthieu Aubry) #7

Another idea: disable the Provider plugin -> this may help a lot if your reverse DNS server is slow

Thanks Matt!

I deactivated the Provider plugin as you suggested. I think the feature is not very useful (what can you do with provider data anyway?) and absolutely not worth incurring a DNS request for every visitor, so thanks for the suggestion!